Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Few Questions Before I Start My GB Training!

sdotcurry30

sdotcurry30

hey guys, ive been researching alot on this forum and gymnastics in general for the past week and half and i think i have enough info to start my program

first off, i read that i need to do alot of prehab work, like stretching flexibility wrist conditioning and etc. i was thinking of doing about 30min of stretching flexibility and 30min of prehab exercises, and then ill do killroys template,

heres my question , how long should i be doing this prehab workouts, before i start the Wod's and other gymnastic exercises?

also btw, thanks alot to the people that helped me out, i appreciate it alot!

Michael Miskelly

In my opinion (and im sure in many others) prehab never stops. Before every ring WOD I would do 5-10mins of a wrist warm up, the one in the video posted around here somewhere. Then I would do my FSP's and then the workout itself. Every other training day I always do Ido's shoulder and scapular mobilisation routine with a theraband, I also do some cuban presses on these days. If you can make prehab part of your warm up you will be getting best of both worlds, a warm up and good prehabilitation to prevent injuries in the future.

sdotcurry30
In my opinion (and im sure in many others) prehab never stops. Before every ring WOD I would do 5-10mins of a wrist warm up, the one in the video posted around here somewhere. Then I would do my FSP's and then the workout itself. Every other training day I always do Ido's shoulder and scapular mobilisation routine with a theraband, I also do some cuban presses on these days. If you can make prehab part of your warm up you will be getting best of both worlds, a warm up and good prehabilitation to prevent injuries in the future.

thanks for your answer, so what i should do is, for stretching , i will stretch everyday, but have one day of intense stretching and prehab mobilization, but i will be stretching every day and prehabbing everyday, just not as intense as the one intense day

then ill do my warmup, (is killroys template considered a warmup??) and then ill do some beginner exercises from the book

how does that look?

also im not really sure if killroys template is a warmup or an actual beginner's workout?

Michael Miskelly

How much you wish to stretch is up to you, I dont conscientiously work on my flexibility with a specific stretching session during the week so you will have to get an answer from someone who does about which is the best way to go about it. As I said my prehab is in my warm up.

As far as I am aware killroy used his method of training to build up his strength in the easier FBE's from the book before trying basic ring strength series 1. He wished to be proficient at the easier FBE's before starting any advanced movements. It is a workout not a warm up. If you feel you need to be better at the more fundamental exercises then definately use killroy's template to build up your strength. If you are already quite proficient at FBE's you could jump into the WOD's and scale them to your current level. Its hard for me to give you a solid recommendation because everybody has a different starting point in their training, I am taking it that you are relatively at the beginning of strength and so have based my answer on that.

sdotcurry30
How much you wish to stretch is up to you, I dont conscientiously work on my flexibility with a specific stretching session during the week so you will have to get an answer from someone who does about which is the best way to go about it. As I said my prehab is in my warm up.

As far as I am aware killroy used his method of training to build up his strength in the easier FBE's from the book before trying basic ring strength series 1. He wished to be proficient at the easier FBE's before starting any advanced movements. It is a workout not a warm up. If you feel you need to be better at the more fundamental exercises then definately use killroy's template to build up your strength. If you are already quite proficient at FBE's you could jump into the WOD's and scale them to your current level. Its hard for me to give you a solid recommendation because everybody has a different starting point in their training, I am taking it that you are relatively at the beginning of strength and so have based my answer on that.

thanks alot for your answer, any advice anyone else can give me will be greatly appreciate, i want to get as much advice as i can