Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand Injury?

shaymac

Hey!

Recently, I have been experiencing numbness in my right hand when I come out of a handstand similar to the sensation you feel when your foot falls asleep. I thought I may be pinching a nerve in my shoulder, but I checked it out with my hand balancing coach and she said that I was stacking fine. Then, about a week ago, I noticed that I cannot put my pinkie to my ring finger on my right hand if all my fingers are straight. No one at my gym seems to have seen it before, so I was wondering if anyone on this forum has experienced this or knows what it might be, (I think it's coming from my wrist?)

And, more importantly, how to make it go away.

I have started taping my pinkie and ring finger together when I'm not training to try and get them to go back together, and it seems to help a bit.

That is a symptom of a nerve being pinched. Little finger numbness is from Ulnar Nerve entrapment.

9129.jpg

Here is a decent article on the topic -

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00069

and a recent post i made with some excellent exercises for just this -

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5960

In addition i find that strong massage with a lacrosse ball or similar in the scapular region, peeks and forearms to be helpful.

Shymac, Making a proper diagnosis without actual physicial exam and diagnostic procedures (nerve conduction studies, cervical and thoracic MRI) is difficult. Although, due to the nature of the type of exercises you perform (handstands with overhead activity) Neurogenic Thoracic Outlet Syndrome comes to mind. Pain, numbness, paresthesias and weakness are common features of this. TOS can compromise vascular as well as neural components as the neurovascular bundle passes between the scalene muscles, the clavicle, the first rib and behind the pec minor muscle . Handstands can cause a large amount of compression to the brachial plexus. Muscular hypertrophy from overhead activity strengthening or abnormality in any of these structures can compress it as well causing symtoms either to the neural component, the vascular component or both. You can Google this info yourself. Remember this is not a diagnosis, just something to think about. If it becomes a concern talk to your primary medical doctor who would refer you to a quality neurologist or vascular surgeon.