Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

dead hang chin-ups

Ian Legrow

Hello! i am a beginner as some of you may know. I am following one of the programms that was set here for people like me ho are getting started. I have a wedding coming up and con not spend a whole lot of money so unfortunatly may not be able to get Coach Sommers book for a month or two. My question: Dead hang chinups/pull ups, the name sounds confusing. but i looked on youtbe and they explained that dead hang us means you don't swing. Is this true, because some other explanations have been very confusing. If that is not orrect, what are dead hand pull ups/chin ups

Johann Wimmer
...that dead hang us means you don't swing...

...and you extend your elbows fully, you make yourself as long as possible.

A dead hang is where you hang from the bar with your arms fully extended with your shoulders by your ears. Dead hang pull/chin up means you start and end your pull/chin up in a dead hang position. During a proper pull/chin up you should not kip (swing) at all and you shouldn't lean back at all, try doing a pull up so that the bar touches the back of your neck to see how much harder this is. Strict pull ups are really hard but that's what you should work towards

Hope that makes sense.

it does that you! most of the exersices i am doing are holding exercises like the plank and reverse plank, so i was kind of confused when the dead hang pull ups for 60s was thrown in there, but it makes sense now. thank you

No problem :D . I assume your starting with the 60 sec of planks, reverse planks, etc? If so then the dead hang is done with a chin up grip (under grip) but you don't actually pull up you just hang. I think this primarily for conditioning the elbow and shoulder joints as well as improving your grip.

OH REALLY!? THAT makes sense now! ok, and what about the parallel bar support for sixty second? So i just hang there as well?

yep as if you were doing a l-sit but with your legs underneath you. Keep your back straight and try to push your shoulders down and back; opening up your chest and try not too swing. Glad I could help :D .

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question about the dead hang with chin up grip, how far apart should your hands be? I've been doing them with my hands almost touching as it felt very uncomfortable to do them with the wider grip and maintain full extension of the arms. I now think that my hands should be at least shoulder width apart is this correct? If this is the case is it worth trying to increase the distance between your hands any further than shoulder width? Thanks

Shoulder width. The hang places pressure on the connective tissue around the shoulder since it's in a stretched position. That's why we train it there for 60s to strengthen it. The reason why it should be ideally shoulder width, not any narrower or not any wider is because not only will this be the position you will be mimicking when doing a variety of other movements on the bar, but it also allows for the furthest point from your shoulder to the bar. If you were to a do a pullup from that position, then you would have the longest ROM from that position.

Thanks that makes a lot of sense, I found that most of the discomfort was in my elbows, I'm guessing this is due to a lack of shoulder flexibility. I hurt my elbows a little doing german hangs the other day and I think this may be due to all the pressure being put on my elbows as I can't rotate my shoulders enough. I'm going to go back to dead hangs for a while after I've rested for a week or two and do them properly, I've been reading that this is also good elbow prehab.

Good for you. Everything can be broken down to finding out what progression is best for you at your stage. Work there to make the best gains without hurting yourself.