Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

wrist push-ups

Ian Legrow

Wrist push ups look very strenuous on the wrist. Is there a way i can learn how to do them without hruting myself in the process?

Troy Rodriguez

Start out by controlling the leverage (weight) your are putting on the wrists. Here is how I start my youngsters.

1. Wrist pushups from all fours. Knees bent and on the floor at a 90degree angle from the back.

2. As they get more strength they just extend the knees back farther to increase the weight being applied to the wrists.

3. After some time (6 months or so for most) they are able to push them out at full pushup position without it being to difficult.

You should never feel pain in the process, if you do then just decrease the weight being applied to the wrists by moving the knees in. Good luck!

You can do wrist pushups on your knees, or even lower with hips on the ground for the start or wrist pushups on the wall. Also at first you can do just hold for some time in pushup position (or on the wall). The same applies for fist and fingers.

Hi there,

i did this exercise early last week.

on my knees, taking off as much weight as i possiblly could! I got through the sets with what i thought was expected discomfort.

however since then, my left wrist has been causing me a lot of trouble. im only a beginner working on things twice a week, (still do my heavy weight training three days a week, waiting for coaches book to arrive :P)

I was wondering what i can do now to help my wrist? it hurts the most when i load it up say for frogstands or anything where hands are 90 degrees to my forearms.

Im also getting a nasty "Click" when i rotate it outisde in...... should i just go see a physio? or are there specific rehab exercises for this type of soreness...

thanks!!!

Nik

Troy Rodriguez

I would say the first place to start is by backing up a bit. It seems as though you may have skipped some progressions that would ultimately condition your wrists for the movements you are trying to attain.

1. Myofascial Massage/Release is a good first step. Really tackle all of your forearm muscles every day a couple of times a day.

2. Can you perform all of the pre-requisites prior to starting Planche work?

a. Planks for 60s (front, side, reverse)

b. Dead hang in chin grip for 60s

c. 60s L-Sit

d. 60s German hang

e. 60s Hollow and Arch holds?

f. Handstands

Most of that stuff above will help condition the wrists much better for lpanche work following. I know I started the same as you right on Planche and had to back way up because of wrist pain. I have been doing the wrist series for four months as well as a lot of handstand work and L-Sit. I can hold about a 20s L-sit now and the rest above are either over the limit or very close. The other day I decided to try out my Planche work again and went directly to tuck planche for a 25 second hold. No pain in my wrists at all. Also when doing planche try to find the right hand position for you. I was trying to do fingers straight forward and that was painful so i turned them out to about 45 degrees and it was much better and felt stronger.

Hope some of that helps.

thanks for that mate :)

yeh iv ebeen massaging my arm over the course of the day, and i already noticed a difference tonight. Having said that, i did exercises very light on my wrist.

can do a fair few of those on your list, bar the 60s L-sits and 60s German hang.

Cant wait to get my book and rings soon so i can start reading! Meanwhile ill just spend hours on here :P