Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

jump height and core strength

benzhen

i wanted to know what some people think about the relationship between leg strength and core strength in getting more height in gymnastics "punch" type jumping and also other forms of jumping that require more bend in the knees. i've been struggling with getting myself higher in the air in all of these forms of jumps and want to see what some people think. thanks,

ben

Guest jumpupandfly

First on core strength - it is hugely important, and i think even moreso when there is a trampoline or spring floor involved. On any type of jump, you want the force coming from your legs to go straight into the group propelling you up. If part of your body is loose, you are going to lose some of that force.

On a plyo floor its all about bouncing off, rather than jumping as much, so you really want to have a rigid body (i believe)

On all types of jumps, leg strength is obviously going to be a factor. As for what you mean about the relationship between leg strength and core strength i'm nor sure.

Anyways, hope that helped, I'm not an expert on this so some of this could be wrong :shock: :D