Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beginner at Stretching

sdotcurry30

sdotcurry30

hey guys, im going to be starting doing some gymnastic workouts soon, after i do enough research. but one thing i need help with is making a beginner's stretching routine. im a basketball player, but im not much flexible. i can touch my toes, but i can lift my leg past my hips, while keeping my leg straight out

can someone help me with a beginner's stretching routine, in order to prep myself for the future gymnastic workouts i will be doing?

I won't explain how to do each stretch, you'll have to do the research yourself for that. But here is a good gymnastics stretching routine.

Standing Pike Stretch (I.e touch your toes), Pancake stretch, Dragonflies (More popularly know as butterflies, but hey were men! :P) Ankle circles (I am not sure if that is the proper name, but basically in a semi closed seated pike cross one leg over the other, and with your hand move your foot in a circular direction, switch foot and repeat) Wrist circles (Not sure if it is the proper name but same idea as the ankle circles, except you are on your hands and knees and to rotate your wrists you move your body above and around your hands.) Back Bridge, Lunge stretch, kneeling pike stretch, splits, sumo stretch, middle splits, german hang.

Do some research, figure out how to do each one! its a pretty good stretching routine and should take you around 15 minutes to do, spend about 15-20 seconds on each stretch.

P.S sorry if I got any of the names of stretches wrong! :oops: Those are just the names I learned them as, maybe someone can clarify...

sdotcurry30

thanks for ur helps guys, im willing to take any advice possible

i read a post where coach sommer said that a beginner should have an intense stretching routine 1x a week, for about an 1 hour, so im just looking for exercises that can really make me flexible like a gymnist