Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to balance Ring Series, Dynamic, Static, Skills, etc???

Scott Kane

I am one of those unfortunate souls who suffer from “paralysis by analysisâ€

As far as organizing your workouts, I'm working on that too. This will be the first week I'll be working out with 2 static and 2 dynamic days. However, I'm still unsure if I can implement strength moves or do they just fall under dynamic movements?

As far as the levers, I can give you my personal experience. I started with Coach Sommer's progressions. To be more specific, I worked up to an advanced tuck lever for 3 sets of 20 seconds. I then started pulling myself up with a straight back in the adv. tuck lever position (or what you think is a straight back.) I worked up to 3 sets of 12. Around this point I remember I could lower down and hold a front lever for 5 seconds on a LOW bar.

I then started working on staddle front lever pulls and was able to double my front lever hold within 2 weeks.

It's a lot easier to do it from a bar that's low to the ground. This is the set up that I used to work on front levers.

(I did the straddle front lever holds on a high bar)

My front lever was pretty solid (around 20 seconds) yet the first time I tried to hold a back lever I thought it was nearly impossible. After weeks of working on it (and after popping a blood vessel in my eye) I was finally able to hold one. Still, though, my front lever is better than my back lever.

Hope this helps.

Hey Scott,

I am at just about the same place as you honestly. I say tackle what you want most 1st and save the rest for when you get comfortable. I think it would be the most beneficial way to do it. (Unless you have access to a coach) For example, if you like handstands the best, then do those till you can hold a solid one for 15 seconds. It's not like we are preparing for the olympics, we can afford to do what we like first.

IMO one of the most convenient ways is to do things like weighted pullups /chins and dips. It keeps things pretty simple and has great carryover.

Quick question: how good are your L-sit pullups? After I got pretty good at one arm/one leg pushups, I started doing a 5x5 with leglifts, L-sit pullups, deadlifts, pistols and handstand pushups. I did it for about a year mixed in with PK and kettlebells. Maybe this would be a good change.

I would say that if you are "paralyzed" continue to watch what you are doing but make a plan and stick to it for a month. See what kind of results you get and if its good do it for one more month and if not at least you allowed your body to "rest" for a bit.

I would also say you should test your max BW endurance numbers for pullups, dips, chins, hindu squats and leglifts. Start strict and then do whatever you can to make the lift after that. IMO its just nice to see where your max is at and use about half that on a normal basis.

Let me know if you need any more info,

-J

P.S. your body fat is 8.5%... I hate you.

Quick question: how good are your L-sit pullups? After I got pretty good at one arm/one leg pushups, I started doing a 5x5 with leglifts, L-sit pullups, deadlifts, pistols and handstand pushups. I did it for about a year mixed in with PK and kettlebells. Maybe this would be a good change.

On a good day, I could probably knock out a set of 5 with good form.

Coach Sommer

WOD & Building the Gymnastic Body

All of the integration and scheduling for the different training components has already been taken care of for you. I will begin posting the WODs (Workout of the Day) on the home page once the first retail copies of Building the Gymnastic Body arrive. The book is currently at the printers and will be available shortly.

Unfortunately I cannot post the WOD prior to the book's availability as Building the Gymnastic Body is a necessary reference point for understanding and implementing the WOD.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer