Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scaling to avoid plateaus

Cyaneus

During unloading weeks I am scaling down whatever exercises I can, and cutting the total volume in half (eg. 8 sets x 7sec BL-Tuck is now 8 x 4 sec German Hang). Over the next several months, is scaling the FSPs, and varying load, enough variation to avoiding plateauing?

I'm also not coming from a sedentary life into gymnastics basic strength, I have a relatively solid foundation in FBE like push ups, dips, pullups as well as lots of plank/hollow type exercises from boxing/kungfu. Without the immediate effect of soreness, it will be hard to gauge accurately what are my loading and unloading ranges, until the end of the cycle and I test my progress. Any insights?

Also, in terms of FSP, does intensity= length/variation; and volume= total sum of duration/variation. For FBE, intensity= reps/variation and volume = total rep x set count/variation?

Deloading weeks can vary on what you're trying to accomplish and overall state of fatigue.

If the previous cycle was fairly difficult then yes it may be a good idea to scale both exercises and intensity.

If it wasn't particularly rough and there is not too much fatigue accumulated (e.g. were still making pretty solid progress even to the end of the cycle instead of plateauing) then you may only need to cut your workouts to half volume (reps or sets) and keep the exercises the same.

In general, plateaus should not be avoided. Your training should carry on until you plateau because that means you are progressing constantly. No one is so good in theory and intuitively knows their body that they will never plateau. The plateau tells you that adjustments need to be made in recovery factors (nutrition, sleep, stress) or training (deloading, volume, intensity, etc).

Intensity generally means a % of 1 RM effort while volume is the total reps and sets of the particular exercises. Effort is a bit more subjective based; it can be 100% when your intensity is lower because of overtraining and such.

I would suggest reading up on some classical periodization work or dual factor theory stuff.... that should give you a better base to understand how the cycles are supposed to operate and why you deload to certain % and volume and such.

But overall, you tend to have to play it more by feel because everyone is a bit different in the training/recovery.