Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is wrong with my elbow?

ACG

My right elbow, pretty much where my triceps insert, just sucks. When I lower into the bottom position of a pushup, about halfway down my elbow pops, and the sensation I get is a tendon snapping over a bone. And right before it pops, I can feel tension. Same thing happens with a dip. It's starting to hurt now after exercising. I guess it's important to note that it doesn't pop every time, but most of the time it does.

I can't pinpoint exactly when this started happening... the popping has been for awhile (perhaps several months or more), the pain more recent. Although I started playing squash around 6 months ago, and I had a pretty wicked overhand serve. After a few weeks of squash + one arm pushup training, I got some pretty intense pain in my right elbow and stopped playing squash and doing pushups. I do believe the popping was happening before this though.

Now, I've just recently discovered this site and ordered some rings. I tried doing an advanced frog stand (I can hold a regular frog stand for a minute easily) and the placement of my knees on my elbows hurt my elbow.

So any idea what's wrong with my elbow? Is it overuse? I'm guessing my tendons are weak. But it also feels like my tendon is tracking improperly, hence the sensation of the tendon popping over the bone... I had my first session of ART yesterday, don't think it did much.

Sorry if this post is very jumbled, I'm just frustrated at the moment...thanks for any help.

Gerald Mangona

Welcome to elbow club :)

It's hard to say what it is. You kind of have to do your own self-coaching and trial and error. What if you worked only pull movements this week and take a break from push movements? If the pain goes away that would tell you something.

I'd say rest completely for a week, do deep massage on the elbows, and see if the pain subsides. If it does, come back and post on it, and we (or I) can tell you how to gradually increase volume. Remember, your muscles strength is probably overdeveloped compared to your tendon strength.

That means you will either do exercises that seem easy to your muscles but are just right for your tendons;

or you will do exercises that are just right for your muscles but are too much for the tendons.

J

I've taken a break before, and while the pain goes away, the popping is still there. I'd really like to know what that popping is... if it pops too much the pain returns. :(

And I never wanted to join the elbow club, can I leave please? :lol:

See a physical therapist.

Sounds much like snapping triceps syndrome or maybe ulnar nerve subluxation.

It would be useful to actually have a diagnosis so you can know what you are dealing with and your rehabilitation options.