This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Falcon's Log

Started by Falcon, March 6, 2011 · 224 Replies · 10,808 Views

Wheelson
Falcon said:
Forearms are inflamed once again, more rice bucket needed...

Due to that I can't lean forward in the planche, adv. tuck is still at 1 second/press, I have to strenghten my forearms for that... Still, I don't feel any strain on them during the PL leans.

Be very careful with this. Don't test your adv tuck more than once every 10-14 days. It can have a SERIOUS ability to lead to injury and shoulder pain. Ask Slizz on that one. Wait until you can hold it for +/- 15 seconds before working it for real. Before that you'll need to seriously master Tuck Planche; that means the ability to hold it even on days your shoulders are fried (see the post a few above)

otherwise good work so far! just a tip, when your forearms are inflammed self myofascial release, (breaking up scar tissue/massaging the soft tissue in afflicted areas) with a lacrosse ball or your own fingers, will help more than rice bucket. I used to have these problems, but through combination of smr, and fingertip german hangs to stretch the forearms I no longer have a problem.

let Me know how it goes :D

Falcon
Wheelson said:
Falcon said:
Forearms are inflamed once again, more rice bucket needed...

Due to that I can't lean forward in the planche, adv. tuck is still at 1 second/press, I have to strenghten my forearms for that... Still, I don't feel any strain on them during the PL leans.

Be very careful with this. Don't test your adv tuck more than once every 10-14 days. It can have a SERIOUS ability to lead to injury and shoulder pain. Ask Slizz on that one. Wait until you can hold it for +/- 15 seconds before working it for real. Before that you'll need to seriously master Tuck Planche; that means the ability to hold it even on days your shoulders are fried (see the post a few above)

otherwise good work so far! just a tip, when your forearms are inflammed self myofascial release, (breaking up scar tissue/massaging the soft tissue in afflicted areas) with a lacrosse ball or your own fingers, will help more than rice bucket. I used to have these problems, but through combination of smr, and fingertip german hangs to stretch the forearms I no longer have a problem.

let Me know how it goes :D

Thanks for the tips, my tuck planche is currently maybeee somewhere above 20s., talking about max hold... I still need to improve that as I want to start working on adv. tuck in 4 weeks.

Could you post here or PM me with some examples of SMR work? I sure will read something about it on the internet, but I always like insight of somebody who actually practises it.

Wheelson

Don't push it. By the end of this steady state cycle your planche will probably be in the upper twenties or maybe thirty range. in four weeks Increase the time of the holds and don't worry about rushing to adv tuck. We're only 17 we have all the time in the world to progress. One thing that has helped my tuck planche so far is working my handstands. The more time I spend on my handstands (hespu included) the more everything seems to improve.

In reguards to self myofascial release? it's actually pretty intuitive for the forearms just massage the tissue with your thumbs and knuckles, or even a lacrosse ball. Just massage the tender and tight spots and the areas around them.

http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-The ... 1572243759 this book should shed some light on the subject.

Falcon

Forearm rehab/strenghtening routine:

Rice bucket circles - each hand 200 (100 CW, 100 CCW)

Rice bucket carpi ulnaris flexion/extension - each hand 100

Carpi ulnaris flexion with dumbell - 15x3 sets

Carpi ulnaris extension with dumbell - 15x3 sets

Falcon

Full Back Lever achieved, can't lower to it, so I'm doing it from straddle, 2-3 seconds hold, my forearm splints are bad, but still this looks like proper progress! I'm happy. :)

Falcon

Leaving for Bibione, Italy, in 6 hours, looks like I won't be able to do today's WOD. And I absolutely know that there is not going to be any bar or place to attach rings :D, however I will have 6 days to improve my tumbling/tricking skills on the beach. Fair enough. I expect some RO-BHS combos or tricking twists. Handbalancing practise will be also part of the day :P

Im also taking my new therabands with me :) shoulder prehab everyday! :)

Next week is practically the last week of this SSC, which was about 2.5 months?! Damn, statics are getting so easy.

Falcon

I'm back and I have some new interesting insights, though my friends are coming for a trampoline session now, I will post that later today.

Falcon

Okay okay so few insights:

1. Elastic band warmup seems to help with stabilizing the handstand, and I'm lacking strenght in pulls with the bands above my head. :)

2. GVT is a fine way to increase my HeSPU and Pulling strenght at the same time, I once did WOD with ring strenght, and twice GVT, first just for a try, and the second one was the real deal, ultimately, it looked like this:

6 Chinup + 3 HeSPU Back to the wall

6 Pullup + 3 HeSPU Stomach to the wall

6 Wide + 3 HeSPU Back to the wall

8 Side2Side + 3 HeSPU Stomach to the wall

6 Chinup + 3 HeSPU Back to the wall

6 Pullup + 3 HeSPU Stomach to the wall

4 Wide + 3 HeSPU Back to the wall

8 Side2Side + 3 HeSPU Stomach to the wall

6 Pullup + 3 HeSPU Back to the wall

6 Wide + 3 HeSPU Stomach to the wall

Okay, so 10 sets at 60% of max, nothing prevented from arching in both of the HeSPU variations, but I finished every rep. This was supersetted, that means I did the pull, and then immidiatelly HeSPU, then 30 seconds rest, and then next superset. I rested 1 minute in the middle (5th set) of the routine.

New school year is starting this week so I won't have that much time to workout now. But gladly I have the bands, and so I'm creating my new workout matrix, with use of the WODs, the final product would be straddle planche by winter (3 months), firstly mastering 1 minute Lsit, previous planche progressions and strong straddle active flexibility, also, I will create a new routine with the bands for more powerful overhead shoulder strenght and scapular elevation/depression and retraction/protraction for better hollow hold in the planche lean, in which I'm getting stronger.

Even if I dont make it this year, I know this can build serious strenght, now I have 3 days to get all of that together in my head. This will be interesting

Falcon

Okay, so, I hope I can sum this thing up in 20 minutes, school tomorrow :cry:

Warmup:

Wrists:

10 Dorsal Pushups

10 Wrist Pushups

10 First Knuckle Pushups

10 Fingertip Pushups

10 Fingertip Hops

Elastic Bands:

Standing facing to wall

-15 Pulls, arms in planche position, 20 circles, alternate rotation after 10

-15 Pulls, arms in cross position, 20 circles, alternate rotation after 10

-15 Pulls, arms in HS position, 20 circles, alternate rotation after 10

-15 Cuban presses - Arms pulling to "surrender" position, 90 degrees in elbows

NOTES:

Keep scapula rectracted, that means the opposite way it wants to go.

Shoulders driven back to limit of flexibility in HS position

Standing back to wall

-10 external rotations

-15 Pulls, arms in planche position, 20 circles, alternate rotation after 10

-15 Pulls, arms in cross position, 20 circles, alternate rotation after 10

-15 Pulls, arms in HS position, 20 circles, alternate rotation after 10

-15 Cuban presses - Arms pulling to "surrender" position, 90 degrees in elbows

NOTES:

Keep hollow position

Again shoulders fully opened to flexibility limit.

Trap-3 Work:

15 Scap pushups with bands

Forearms:

Elbow Straight Palm facing Down Wrist Extended Curl Fingers

Elbow Straight Palm facing Down Wrist Curled Curl Fingers

Elbow Straight Palm facing Up Wrist Extended Extend Fingers

Elbow Straight Palm facing Up Wrist Curled Curl Fingers

Elbow Bent Palm facing Me Wrist Extended Extend Fingers

Elbow Bent Palm facing Me Wrist Curled Curl Fingers

Elbow Bent Palm facing Away Wrist Extended Extend Fingers

Elbow Bent Palm facing Away Wrist Curled Curl Fingers

NOTES:

For warmup do 20 reps, run once throught the routine, do both hands at a time.

For recovery do 20 reps, run three times trought the routine, stretch the forearms afterwards.

For time saving, do Titanium Ankles - shin lifts, while doing this routine.

Ankles:

Dogen's Titanium Ankles - Ankle lift, do while doing forearm prehab, on every second set.

This is my warmup for now, I will have access to gymnastic facility this school year, so I will update it, this will do for now.

Falcon

Flexibility

Active:

Pike Compression - 5 lifts and then hold for 10 seconds, 5 sets

Straddle Compression - 5 lifts and then hold for 10 seconds, 5 sets

Side lifts - 5 lifts and then hold top position for 5 seconds, 5 sets each leg

Bridge Wall Walks - 3 Walks, 5 sets

NOTES:

Do everyday. As part of warmup or before PNF stretching.

Passive:

PNF series:

Pike

Front Split left

Front Split right

Side split

NOTES:

Do every other day, or after tricking sessions.

Do 10 seconds contraction, 30 seconds passive hold, repeat for 3 reps on each position.

Falcon

4th SSC:

FX Lsit - 10x10s

BL Straddle - 7x8s

PL Lean - 10x10s

FL Flat tuck - 3x20s (man what the hell? I can't do a straddle but my Flat tuck is really strong by now, gotta figure this out)

Straddle L low - 6x10s

AND

Since I can't do tuck planche due to inflammed forearms, I will go with the advanced frongstand. I tested it now and I got about 40 seconds? But Im after a workout with full stomach, as Im learning to leave my ego outside, I will go with everyday advanced frongstands. Good experiment, let's see what will happen with alot of forearm prehab.

Adv. Frogstand - 4x20s

Falcon

Few things.

First, I will update my warmup post with wrist exercises and forearm strenghtening, hopefully that wont take more than 35 minutes.

HSPU Ladders for me:

6 Rounds of Walking HSPU Ladders

5 Box HeSPU

6 Wall Walks

4 Negative HeSPU

6 Wall Walks

3 HeSPU

My triceps are still feeling pretty beaten, I did only 4 rounds.

And, first skill work, gotta keep the workouts tasteful:

Skill Work: Handstand Strenght

Perform 10 sets of 1 minute HS Hold, 30 seconds rest

Perform 2 HeSPU on beggining of every other set, beggining with the first set

Perform HS Stomach to wall every other set, alternating with HeSPU sets

Skill Work: OAC - Weighted Pulling

Perform:

3x4 OAC Isometric top hold

4x4 10kg Chinup

5x4 20kg Negative Chinup with iso. hold at 90°

Falcon

There is also a positive thing about getting injured - you can always strenghten the other things that you are weak in, as I'm putting BL on maintenance mode, no MUs, no PL, no Straddle L. It's time to strenghten my hip flexors for straddle Ls, build up a solid FL, and focus on HSs and vertical pressing, and also some harder pulling stuff! Of course, I'll smash my legs too, I'm seriously considering doing tire sprints as part of my warmup!

The forearms are not getting much better... Still waiting so I can do some forearm strenghtening and oldschool dinosaur thick bar grip work! As I said, it's time to focus on the other things :) hopefully I will come up with something good quickly, as school and other things are starting to take lots and lots of my time. :( Let's do this thing! :twisted:

Falcon

Workout:

6x4 OAC Isometric top hold (alternate)

4x4 10kg Chinup

5x4 20kg Negative Chinup with iso. hold at 90°

DINOSAUR BODYWEIGHT WORKOUT!

Man, those 10kg chinups were screamy.

Falcon

Workout:

Skill Work: 15 minutes - Handstand Balance

5x4 HeSPU

5x4 15kg Dip

7x4 5kg PPP

Yesterday felt good (Im feeling my lats and back), trying the same approach with pressing.

Suprised of myself! last round 3 HeSPU and 6 Negatives, but dips were clean and PPPs too.

Falcon

I need to make my grips friendly, esspecialy in the MU, so I will do some weighted pulling and MU work :)

6x4 OAC Isometric top hold (alternate)

4x4 10kg Ring Chinup

4x4 Slow XR Muscle Up transition

Falcon

Aside of having a great trampoline session today, nailing solid fulltwists, I accidentally lowered to bridge from stand, which left me absolutely shocked, as my back flexibility was poor, but I have managed to get some BHSs earlier this week, so I think things are going well with the limbers! It was a suprise that I also did the second part of front limber - stand up from bridge, it was on my toes, but still, my back is more flexible than it was, and all I did were just couple of bridge wall walks every now and then. YES!

Falcon

6x4 Shoulder Press 25kg - cement bag

6x4 Dip 15kg

6x4 FX PPP 15kg

This seems like one hell of a press workout. From now on, I will replace some WODs with my workouts, as I must strenghten my weak links.

Falcon

Proper scaledown:

1 Embedded FX L-sit + 3 Tempo XR Bulgarian Dip (or 5 XR Dips)

1 Embedded S. BL + 5 Tempo Half Neg Reverse MU

1 Embedded Adv. T. FL + 6 Tempo L-sit Lift

Falcon

Next ladders:

5 Box HeSPU

12 Wall Walks

4 Negative Freestanding HeSPU to Negative chest roll

12 Wall Walks

3 Wall HeSPU

12 Wall Walks

I will improve it even more later.

I think that some inevitable drinking will happen tomorrow, huh. That will be my first time since I've started with conditioning, and that was early February this year! This won't kill me, and won't make me less strong. Razz is the example I think - strong as hell and he himself said that he drinks now only vodka with tonic or gin :D It is a good social lubricant indeed as slizz said, and sometimes, you just need to lu... :twisted: ah well... nevermind.

EDIT: Ah, okay, no drinks tonight! Moving the... event to the next weekend maybe. More recovery this weekend.

Falcon

312660_2212889555979_1059722581_32014981_74251057_n.jpg

Adv. Tuck Planche

Like 2 weeks ago I had max of 3-4 seconds, now only 1-2 seconds.... the problem isn't the lean, my biceps can hold that stuff thanks to PL leans, my girls deltoids just cant hold me in the horizontal position... And my left forearm hasn't yet fully healed... that is great (irony) starting spot when I want to hold straddle in 5-6 months from now... ahhhh so much work :(

Falcon

Mass, you're mine!

WOD dynamic legs

10x3 XR Pullups 10kg

10x6 PB Dips 10kg

rest intervals between supersets - 30s - 1 min

last three to four sets were hard, very hard on the pulls, had to kip few reps.

Falcon

10x3 XR Pullups 10kg

10x5 PB Dips 10kg

10x4 OAC Iso Hold + Lower attempt, alternate arms

I like how the DOMS from last time I did this disappeared in the first set :D Tomorrow's dynamic press will be extraordinary painful.

Add more reps next time to pullups. Or weight.

I don't like looking back. But I did, I read some things on the first page on my log, I wasn't surprised by negative HeSPUs and such, but one thing caught my eye: Negative pullups with top hold. Earlier this year, I wasn't strong enough even to do a pullup. And today, I ran through that ^. I'm never going back and I won't look back for a quite a bit of time I think :) Let's focus on now.

Falcon

3 rounds of the following supersets:

8 Half GHR

10 Overhead Lunges 20kg

20 SL Calf Raises 20kg

10 SLS assisted

Finish with 60 seconds total aggregate work of a straddle L variation, Straight-arm pushup work.

Pushups:

Jacknife kneeling 8x5

Archer kneeling 8x5

Damn, my GHRs are so weak!!! :( But SLS getting better every workout! Yeah!

Falcon

Maaan straight arm work progress right there! Kneeling archers achieved. I'm feeling elbows and, surprisingly, pectorals! Flyes will come soon.

5x10reps plank Jacknife - scaled

5x10reps kneeling Archer

10 minutes rest

8x4 XR Pullups 10kg

8x6 PB Dips 10kg

8x2 10s OAC Iso Hold

Did 6 sets with 10kg, then dropped to 5kg for another 2 sets.

rests 10-15 seconds between exercises, 1:30 min between sets