Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Backwards Roll from Support to Back Lever

Gerald Mangona

Gerald Mangona

In Ring Strength 1, we do a backwards roll. Coach Sommers mentions in a reply that the secret to doing so is to begin pulling from the arms as you roll backwards. Tried it and total fail; I think I still lack the strength. For context, I can probably do 7-8 pullups, Tuck BL for 15s. Any way to train this? Or should I wait til my strength increases? Or perhaps I should get in to a tuck position sooner as I roll backwards?

J

This is not really a strength thing. If you can go from support and lean backwards into inverted hang you can do this skill. It doesn't require much strength at all until you start moving into a back lever.

It's really basically like doing a backwards roll on the ground except your arms are holding onto something instead of going behind your head and pushing the ground. YOu need to lean back, and then put tension on your arms to slow yourself going down instead of straight up falling. If you can do 7 pullups you easily have the strength.

It would probably be best if you can post a video though.

Coach Sommer

Done correctly, the backward roll to inverted hang should be a low level strength element. The goal here is to lower slowly & under control into the position, not fall into it. Setting a false grip as you begin to roll backwards will help to control the momentum.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Gerald Mangona

Woohoo! Finally got it.

It's definitely not pretty, and I'm still working on getting it under control. But it sure looks better than the negative muscle up that I was getting with my feet landing awkwardly on the floor, followed by a jump to get me into an inverted hang. It two things to get it down:

(1) need to swing your legs up with enough force to create a rotational momentum while bending the elbows as if you were dropping into dip.

(2) slipping into the false grip and then pulling to control your momentum once your elbows drop below the rings.

I also found this instructional video here... http://gymnasticswod.com/content/backward-roll, which shows a full 360 backwards roll from support, through the inverted hang and back to support. Has some nice step by step breakdown as well!

JM

• 3 months later...
Woohoo! Finally got it.

It's definitely not pretty, and I'm still working on getting it under control. But it sure looks better than the negative muscle up that I was getting with my feet landing awkwardly on the floor, followed by a jump to get me into an inverted hang. It two things to get it down:

(1) need to swing your legs up with enough force to create a rotational momentum while bending the elbows as if you were dropping into dip.

(2) slipping into the false grip and then pulling to control your momentum once your elbows drop below the rings.

I also found this instructional video here... http://gymnasticswod.com/content/backward-roll, which shows a full 360 backwards roll from support, through the inverted hang and back to support. Has some nice step by step breakdown as well!

JM

You are talking roll from support to support?

If yes, then idealy would be:

1. Straight body the whole time without absolutly no piking and kiping...

1.You don't need swing (you must not) your legs, you just need to be completly straigh and lean backwards (your legs will go forward if you'll be stiff as a board). So therefore you won't need any swing to start rotation.

2.Your palms must be in the under grip for the whole time (rings turned out).

3. You are not going in to deep position when going backwards just bending elbows through transition (of course you start at the begining bending), so the elbow's 90° should occour in the inverted hang (just one momentum before you get to inverted).

4. When you're going form hang up, you must squeeze your abs and butt to be stiff as a board so no piking occour (no momentum just pure strength).

5. Rings turned out position and make a smile :mrgreen: