Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with Pullovers?

Cole Dano

I seem to be having a difficult time with pullovers.

The best place i have to do them is on my PBs which are apx shoulder height.

I'm not sure if this makes it more challenging, as starting with felt on the floor makes finding my pulling power harder.

As i go up i can consistently get my knees higher than the bar, but for the most part they just bounce off to no result.

On the rare occasion when i do get over i can't get all the way around to the support, just kinda stuck on my belly.

Any help would be appreciated on this one.

Eddie Stelling

Mr. Brady, are you keeping you legs tucked or your legs straight? I played around with it one day with my legs in like an advanced tuck position and found it to be impossible. I would say make sure the legs are straight, toes pointed and really throw them not so much up but behind you. You should also pike your hips (while you are learning it), not sure if this how advanced people do it, but piking your hips allows you to sort hook your upper legs/hip on the bar at the top like an upside down V. And don't forget to be doing a pullup and then iniate the flip at the top of the pullup. Doing it from a hang is much harder. I also do think this could take some getting used to if performing on a bar lower to the ground. Hope that helps and makes some sense!!

This is one of those hard to help with if you don't have a video, so if you get a chance to upload a video of you doing (Trying to do) one I could help you 20X better.

Based on what you say I think you might be pulling your legs to far away from the bar, then when you try to compensate by bringing your legs to the bar, you over compensate slamming your legs into the bar, that is why they bounce off. Try instead to focus a bit more energy in having your legs go straight up, and then when your waist, not your knees are above the bar, instead of letting them fall straight down, pull your legs slightly over the bar, and your body should fall into a support position.

I'm not sure if my answer makes sense, or if it is correct, as I don't have a video of you trying it. But if you can upload a video then I could help alot more :)

Hope this helps!

P.S, Do you have a HLL?

Yeah, yeah, newguy is right on. Get the HLL to avoid the need to kip/swing too much. Add to that the pullup till your waist is at the bar. I think the pullup should be a compact, elbows in type of thing to help your torso up. Post a video when you get it!

Gavin Strelitz

I had the same problem with Naners. I would get my knees up and over but then get stuck with the bar in my waist. Two things helped me out.

1. More leg swing (momentum) will get you over.

2. When you get stuck there again just relax, try and lean back and straighten yourself out as you do. That will pivot you over the bar backwards.

Thanks for the advice everyone. HLLs are good enough, its more a timing and pulling issue, i think due to the height of the bars its awkward to get the momentum, which means i have to muscle it more.

The other problem is my center of mass seems to be to far back, my hips aren't moving in front of the bar enough.

As suggested, i'll make a video next time this comes up.

Practice flex arm V hold.

Make sure you pull to your belly button and not your hips. This is important for either gender. Girls will just get stuck, guys will roll over their equipment. Either way, you will still need to pull to your belly button to make it.

Take one of the rails off or set them at heights they won't interfere.

...guys will roll over their equipment......

Been there, done that. Good motivation to lift up above the waist.