Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jay Schroeder and long duration isometrics

DSears

I've been poking around on the internet and found some discussion of a strength coach named Jay Schroeder and some of the training techniques he uses. He gained some noteriety for training Adam Archuleta, a football player, who blew everyone away by his performance in the NFL combine. Since then he's trained several professional athletes. Some of Schroeder's techniques are pretty far out there but he uses one that is similar to the statics used by Coach Sommer. The major difference is that he has the athlete hold the position for 5 minutes. There is a forum located at http://wgfforum.llsint.com/Forums/index.php and several people there report having experimented with these longer duration isometrics with good results.

Here's a link to a site that has an interview of Schroeder. http://mostshockingsportstraining.com/ Some of the claims are pretty far out there.

I'd be interested in hearing opinions on this training. The gymnastic training as discussed here seems primarily geared toward upper body movements. If Schroeder's ideas have any merit they might be good to use for lower body.

• 7 months later...

DSears,

I have looked into his stuff as well. For some reason isometric work naturally appeals to me, probably because it is hard as hell and no one does it. My only problem with the Schroeder stuff is that it isnt clear whether the Iso-Extremes are performed as yeilding ISOs or overcoming Isos

I have a hunch he is little more than a salesman. I took results of all the studies found in Designing Resistance Training Programs and placed them into Excel. The highest correlation to increasing strength was intensity. When I saw the result, I was like, "why did I expect different?" After that, I believe it was volume. Time of contraction had an inverse relation to increases in force output increases, overall. The greater the time, the lesser the strength gain, because you can't go all out for 5 minutes. I think 15 second tops.

5 minutes it's to much, waste of time. You don't need such big endurance/stamina. And to much endurance/stamina is conterproductive to maximum strength. So you need good corelation to endurance/maximum/speed/explosive strength ratio, especialy in gymnastics where you need all of this and not only few.

Another thing: if you can hold the cross 30s or half hour, that doesn't mean you can press from cross to support.

• 4 weeks later...