Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hindu squats - build strong knees or destroy them ?

Guest Brusi

Guest Brusi

Hello :)

The last year I've had many injuries to my legs (ankle overuse on both and MCL tear to the right)

Over 7 months past since I've injured the MCL and I'm planning to start a rehab program in the very near future. I didn't injure my knee because of my training - I simply jammed my legs between two bus seats. Sounds funny but the first week I couldn't stand upright for more than 15min. :cry: Going upstairs was a disaster. But it seems to be healed now :P

So I'm designing a rehab schedule. A found an article by Thomas Kurtz that says that the high number of hindu squats promotes knee ligaments strength. Coach Sommer also wrote in the post - Ankle Stability Exercises that connective tissues require high rep work. However I'm still afraid to do hindus because the technique is the exact oposite of the regular squat.

So what do you think: Hindu squats - build strong knees or destroy them ?

Thanks to all. Any input will be helpful.

The build stronger knees, but if your knees are already destroyed will then don;t go past 90 degrees in your squat till you feel it is right. I use to do heavy weighted deep squats I didn't think anything of it and my knee starts popping more and more and boom I have to get surgery. Take it easy do body weight squats, keep away from anything that is past 90 degrees for now.

The build stronger knees, but if your knees are already destroyed will then don;t go past 90 degrees in your squat till you feel it is right. I use to do heavy weighted deep squats I didn't think anything of it and my knee starts popping more and more and boom I have to get surgery. Take it easy do body weight squats, keep away from anything that is past 90 degrees for now.

What most people do when they squat below parallel is to "rest" for an instance in the down position. This instance can be less than a second. At this time, the hamstrings relax and cause all the damage to the knees. This is bound to cause knee injury in the long run. Squatting is the safest leg exercise for the knees I know of provided you squat correctly. If you squat exactly as described in Rippetoe's Starting Strength, then there is no possibility for knee injury. Once your knees are bad, I would not recommend squats at all. The worst way to squat is above parallel. Below parallel is the safest way for your knees, if they're injury free that is.

Guest Ido Portal

In one of his upcomming books, coach sommer will go through his knee preparative series.

I've seen coach's athletes demonstrate this series, and I can honestly say that it is inovative and provide an amazing tool for tumblers/ people with need for fool-proof iron knees.

I've been experimenting with this series since I came back from my visit from the US, and the results are quite promising.

Guest Brusi

Thanks again for the help.

That thing about the hammies shocked me.

I didn't even thought about it.

I'm right at the start again.

Ido,

Does Coach Sommer's knee preparation include hindu squats at all :roll: ?

I guess all his leg work will be shown in Liquid Steel™ :roll:

My whole family has had problems with their knees, I can also blame it on skateboarding I did lots of jumps when I was younger that tore up my knees, and when I got to lifting I just added to the problems, I'm pretty sure I didn't have correct form sometimes I would even hit my butt on the floor while squatting now if that isn't to deep then I don't know what is, and from what I've heard and read deep squats is not always the best thing even if form is perfect, unless you have that flexibility and strength prior to doing deep squats.

For now Brusi, keep it at 90 that's my suggestion, try it for a month it won't hurt all it can do is help, make sure you stretch and warm up before, create good habits for squatting and then move onto Hindus.

My whole family has had problems with their knees, I can also blame it on skateboarding I did lots of jumps when I was younger that tore up my knees, and when I got to lifting I just added to the problems, I'm pretty sure I didn't have correct form sometimes I would even hit my butt on the floor while squatting now if that isn't to deep then I don't know what is, and from what I've heard and read deep squats is not always the best thing even if form is perfect, unless you have that flexibility and strength prior to doing deep squats.

For now Brusi, keep it at 90 that's my suggestion, try it for a month it won't hurt all it can do is help, make sure you stretch and warm up before, create good habits for squatting and then move onto Hindus.

Yeah, skateboarding is such a thing. If your butt really hits the floor, then you're either very, very flexible or you're doing something very, very wrong. Must look funny, anyway.

Yea I was doing wrestling for a bit, and we lifted and my butt use to bounce off the floor the coach use to sit there and just laugh, well flexibility came from gymnastics. Yes, I look back now and remember no one really guiding me even my coach, I just thought I had good form, on this subject another thing make sure someone watches you until you get good form, you can always think you have form but until someone watches and critiques you, you never know.

Guest Brusi

I also did some skateboarding for 3 years and a half.

And yes it's real punishment for the legs. Especially for the untrained like mine were. But at that time I've never really cared.

:cry:

Thanks again for the advice.