Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Couple of Questions

phken4343

1. For the pull-ups, do I have to completely relax my shoulders like a dead hang for full ROM? Also, is doing pull-ups the only way I can increase my repetition? (I can do about 4 good ones)

2. For the dips, are you allowed to shrug down during the descent? Also, is it correct to lower down until the shoulder almost touches the bars? (I slightly move my elbows out and feel it in the pecs)

3. For the press, do I have to start with my shoulders shrugged?

Gerald Mangona

slizzardman wrote up a great way to increase pull-up reps to build up the necessary strength to get into the more difficult progressions. I use the same system for dips. I posted it below. I bring my shoulders to my ears for a full ROM. Dips I go as far as my elbows will let me while I'm still working on tendon strength at the tricepelbow. Basically the rings touch the bottom of my pec muscles. Can't answer your question on press.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4726#p38455

I do the pullups 2x per week and the dips 2x per week. If the WOD is a pull day, I work dips. If the WOD is a push day I work pullups. If the WOD is a leg or combined push/pull day I do which ever I need to do for the week.

I'll have to dig up my 12 weeks to BUDs workout to verify, but Stew Smith's program for getting people's pull ups to the point where they could actually do the program was very simple, very similar to what I suggested and looks like this:

2 rounds of 5 reps per grip: Close, regular, wide, chin up, parallel grip. If this is too much, do 2 rounds of 2, 3, 4 etc until you get to 2 rounds of 5 reps. Do not increase the reps of your first sets until ALL rounds and reps can be done at a particular level. Example, don't start doing 4 rep sets until all 5 sets in both rounds are at 3 reps.

At 2 rounds of 5 reps per grip, you should have a max of 7-9 pull ups at least. You're then ready to start tackling 2 rounds of 7 reps and then 2 rounds of 10 reps. You COULD just keep increasing the reps of your first sets every time you are able to handle a specific number of reps for both rounds. This is a great beginning pull up program, and actually works well all the way up through the 10 reps per set. I never took it past this. 2-3x per week is perfect, and that will be dependent on each person's recovery ability and how their progress goes.

1. For the pull-ups, do I have to completely relax my shoulders like a dead hang for full ROM? Also, is doing pull-ups the only way I can increase my repetition? (I can do about 4 good ones)

2. For the dips, are you allowed to shrug down during the descent? Also, is it correct to lower down until the shoulder almost touches the bars? (I slightly move my elbows out and feel it in the pecs)

3. For the press, do I have to start with my shoulders shrugged?

1. Ideally yes. I also had great difficulty with pull ups. In fact this was a major factor in me starting this program. I couldn't do one when i started! Now 7 is comfortable with 10 max last time is tested.

I honestly think the most important thing is just doing the WODs, the ring work, FLs BLs etc carry over and improved my pull ups without a ton of specific pull up work.

However the specific work i did was -

at first i did ladders, 1 pull up, rest 2 pull ups etc... that was ok but didn't seem to help allot

then i tried the program Slizz outlined, its based off a BUDs preparation program, and Poliquin also gives out a similar program.

i did it about twice a week and my numbers went up very quickly, within a month.

2. Dips have been called the squat of the upper body, they put allot of strain on the shoulder girdle at first, which make good form all that much more important.

Keep good form, lower your hips until you get the shoulders to elbow height, where the forearm and upper arm touch. Start there and as you get stronger you can lower further and then to other variations.

3. What press?