Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elbow, forearm pain constantly coming back

Deltoid

Hello!

I'm new member here, but I've been reading this forum for a while. I learned many great things here. I am an absolute beginner when it comes to gymnastic type of training.

I have on and off pain in my forearms and elbows for abouth 4 months. Last few weeks pain is at brachioradialis, extensor digitorum, lower parts of triceps, at the elbow where triceps tendons are and some flexor muscles. Probably it is somewhere else too but this is what I can diagnose. For two months I completly canceled any upper body strenght training because of that.

This situation comes from pulls ups and dips. My wrists are really thin and during pull ups (two pull ups) my forearms were burning. Wrists and forearms were my weakest point.

Throughout the day I feel almost no pain just weakness. Only when I touch these muscles I can feel moderate pain. Sometimes, when i flex and supinate forearm I feel sharp pain in the elbow. As I said when I don't feel pain I rehab these areas. I use rice bucket and wrist routine that is advised by Ido Portal (http://idoportal.blogspot.com/2009/07/preparations-for-our-daily-training.html) that is similar to what Coach Sommer is recommending at the forum. I also tried farmers walk and rubber around fingers. I do it very, very light. My forearms feel pretty good while I doing it and after, but few hours after or next day I have worse situation than I had. Than I constantly feel light pain in my forearms for few days. After that I have to rest for few days to get where I was before rehab routine. I never work through pain.

The same is with triceps. I do triceps extension with very light weight on with no weight. The situatuon in similar to discribed above.

Am I doing it right or wrong? Is this what is suppose to happen? I just need to know am I on the right path?

I must say that I work on a computer a lot and it gives me pain in forearms too. Could it be that the computer is the main problem?

Carpal tunnel?

This causes inflexibility in the wrist besides a lack of bloodflow and circulation. I dealt with this for awhile when I would rest my wrists on the edge of the pullout tray for the keyboard/mouse. Once I started resting them on a small towel, it got a lot better.

Gerald Mangona

You know the way you describe it, it sounds like the problem is not from the weakness in your wrists, or the back/tricep muscles used in the pull-ups or dips themselves, but rather the grip strength necessary to do the exercises. The grip is what activates all those extensor ligaments you're bringing up.

Given your frustration, I'd just fast forward and see a physiotherapist, preferably one who does manual therapy. See if you can rule out carpal tunnel. Then I'd go to focusing on strengthening those tendons with the wrist conditioning, rubber bands on the fingers, all high-rep low intensity work. Then slowly introduce your exercises in at half volume, and if necessary half intensity.

Like your back might be strong enough to do the pull-ups, but your extensors and flexors might not be strong enough to handle the grip necessary to do them. So put your legs on a box and do assisted pull-ups for one set this week. If your tendons are feeling good, slowly increase the next week or the week after.

The problem with tendons is that even when they're getting hurt, they'll still let you do the movements. For example, sure, I can hold a HS against the wall for 1 min. x 12 reps. I have the shoulder strength to do it. But even though I lack the tendon strength, that doesn't stop me from finishing the set. I don't realize it until after doing it twice in a week and wondering why all my tendons are sore.

Get to a physio. Otherwise rest. Then work rehab. Then add work sets, always keeping in mind that your tendons will let you finish the sets even if they're not strong enough to handle them. So you've got to listen to them more than your muscles right now.

Or I'm totally wrong. I'm still new at this too.

JM

Thanks for answers.

I found a video on YouTube about nerve gliding.

Is this video any good? Can someone with more knowledge tell something about this. Does it help or not and on what to pay attention? I would like to try this myself before seeing a therapist.

This is legit, many of the leading pain experts are moving away from treating the muscles etc and towards treating the nerves and nervous system.

I wish i could tell you more, the specific flossing techniques are new to me, what i've understood seems to be in the video. You do need to avoid and numbness etc, which he warns of.

I actually thought of this when i originally read your post, but didn't really know where to point you, hopefully this will help.