Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

template to combine weight training with gymnastics?

Greg Thompson

Greg Thompson

Hi guys

I know most people around here follow Coaches WODs pretty regularly. I've been searching these boards but have been unable to find if there has been any decent information discussed about combing weight training with gymnastics. I explained in a different thread that I have always lifted weights, more recently finally doing it right by focusing on big compound barbell exercises. But I also have recently become very interested in training gymnastics moves. Especially Ring Strength, handstands and planche type movements. I have read the book and only fooled around on the XR's for a few minutes. I have read around here that most people agree that weight training for the legs is superior to body weight but that gymnastics upper body training is superior or at least equal to weight training. My question is, is there a template out there that combines moves like Squat, Deadlift, Press, Weighted Chins, Dips etc, with various gymnastics moves. I'll admit I'm not worried about becoming an advanced level gymnast or being the biggest guy in the room. But I'd like to find a middle ground with skill development as well as strength on the bar and of course lean muscle. Any advice would be appreciated.

No. Some of the guys from the seminar, do olympic weighlifting on leg days. I guess you could work barbell strength lifts on max leg strength days and olympic lifts on the leg power days.

Pressing can be substituted by upper body gymnastics movements. I still like the push press but that is hip and upper body.

I tried to combine lower body weights with the WOD, by subbing barbell exercises on leg days, but it didn't work for me. My body just doesn't maintain strength with heavy weighted movements, particularly squats, unless I'm doing them regularly and consistently.

So I've started doing almost every WOD as written, including the leg WODs (subbing for my inadequacies as necessary) and have added some back squats on Monday and Thursday mornings.

Is working for me and my goals thus far.

It might be difficult to strictly adhere to the WOD posted on this forum and incorporate serious weight training, but there is certainly nothing to prevent a person from using both weights and Gymnastic Strength Training™ for building strength and improving fitness. Finding the right prescribed program may be difficult, and there is also the problem of chasing two rabbits at the same time. You might not catch either. Still, as a person who likes both weights and gymnastics, I have combined the two over the years, although most certainly my focus is now on gymnastics.

Just use any strength training template and replace the upperbody work with gymnastic work. For example the most popular strength training templates are 3 whole body routines per week or an upper lower split 4 times per week.

Option A. Set up a 3 day routine using gymnastic training and progressions and simply add one lower body lift at the end of the session.

Option B. Set up two upper body session with only gymnastic work and two lower body sessions with the the lifts you want to concentrate on.

Voila successful integration of weightlifting and gymnastic work. Also keep in mind that just because you are integrating the two types of training together doesn't mean that you have to use the same periodization model for both. This can be done with pretty much any sound strength training template such 5/3/1 or others.

Also check out James from beastskills.com as he has been combining the two (as well as upperbody weightlifting) with success for years. He even has an article on it here: http://beastskills.com/tutorials/tutorials/87 but I believe you have to pay 5 dollars for the issue of the magazine that it is printed in.

In a recent podcast Robb Wolf commented on a program he was/is doing. Something he had gotten from Ido. If my memory serves me right it was along these lines. Gymnastics upper body moves in day 1 and 2 and weighted lower body work on day 3.

1 day: Straight arm day: Isometrics

2 day: Bend arm day

3 day: Leg day

4: Rest

5: Repeat the cycle.

That might be an option, though I also would consider the possibility, that you are chasing two rabbits.