Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Calf/Knee Pain

Josh Schmitter

Josh Schmitter

I thought I would throw this up here and see if any light can be shed. I have had this problem for about 2 months know off and on. It seemed to start during some half GHR when it felt like a tendon(or something similiar) rolled over the outside of my left knee, but felt it more at the calf connection. It didn't so much as hurt as feel like a twangy sensation...using the technical language of course.

Anyways, when I do any kind of sprinting, jump rope, etc. I start feeling a tightness on the outside/back of my left calf about an inch or 2 down from where it meets the knee. If I keep at it for a long while...i.e. when I'm playing laser tag, especially going up and down uneven surfaces it starts to present in the outside of the knee. If pushed(which I have done once) it hurts to the point of limping. At this point it only hurts when the leg is coming out of being bent a bit with weight on it, NOT so much just having weight on it while bent in a static...the actual coming from or going into that position. I've been scouring the net and found lots of things, and I'm fully aware of the lack of information for any kind of diagnosis; just trying to shed some more information light if possible.

Thanks in advance.

I'd go see you medical practitioner and try and get refereed for physio and/or a scan. That 'twangy' sensation is never a good thing. I had a feeling that a thick elastic band was twanging my shoulder. That was apparently about 4 different muscle groups partially tearing at the tendon. Ice and heat are good in the short term with stretching but long term you might need guided physio. It may be that you've just injured your calf muscle, but you may have hurt a lot more.

I hear you've got excellent health care in the US compared to the UK. Take advantage of it.

Sorry i missed this earlier, hey that just sounds bad. I certainly don't want to speculate on what's going on.

Get it checked out.

Joshua Naterman

Sounds like TFL and hamstrings to me. Upper and lower leg soft tissue work will help clear up adhesions and hypertonicity, and re-educating the hip abductors will help teach your hips and knees how to work properly. I have go, but there is another message I wrote about 5 minutes ago on a similar knee thread that should help. It's Acslepius's thread. It does not address all of your concerns, but it hits some. He should read what I wrote here too, I forgot to mention soft tissue work.

Josh Schmitter

Thanks for the responses and sorry for the delay...just finishing up reading Ido's blog which was long overdue. Fortunately it has been much better over the last few weeks. I have been doing a lot of soft tissue work/tennis ball stuff which has been really great. Also have been doing some of the Pain Free stuff every morning. I will def. start incorporating the band assist squat as well. Much obliged slizz.

Longshanks-yes, this would be ideal, but at the moment I don't have insurance, and on top of that, it is hard to find a referral to someone who really knows their stuff. But I suppose the only way to find that person, other than blind luck, is to seek them out.