Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Knuckle Handstands

Steven Andrews

Steven Andrews

Has anyone tried to do these? It seems that it would be very difficult to correct for over and under balancing. I'm getting some wrist pain using the conventional method and don't wish to give up on the handstand yet as I'm suddenly seeing a lot of improvement both in forum and time held. I can kick up to a freestanding handstand for up to 70 seconds now but the wrist pain is making me worried. I can handle the pain but I don't want to inflict long term damage.

• 1 month later...
hand-balancer

do you use any wrist wraps when you train? I have never heard of knuckle handstands...sounds like a bad idea

Mikael Kristiansen

Get some p bars and do hs work on those. You can do knuckle hs, but it is hard to balance them, and it will be difficult to have good form. They can also mess up your knuckles as you will inevitably have to walk to correct balance sometimes, which will put a lot of pressure or even impact directly on the knuckles. I am sure you would also develop wrist problems from practicing this without a lot of prehab and wrist conditioning.

Knuckle hs tend to stay in underbalance a lot, since you can balance from the hips, shoulders and by arm bending instead of utilizing finger pressure. On p bars you can save your wrists by turning them outwards but still balance from the wrist. Another alternative which is used in the circus a lot is decline blocks. Basically these are hs blocks that fits your palm, but cut on an angle so your wrist never reaches full flexion when in a hs. I have used these myself when i have had small injuries and i know people who always use them.