Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I can't catch the balance when kicking up

pdb_atfn

Hi. I am 24 and since I was 15/16 I have tried and failed to become proficient at handstands.

My main problem is in catching the balance when I kick up. If I attempt 20 handstands, I immediately underbalance (returning to my feet) in about 13 of them, immediately overbalance in about 6, and if I'm lucky I might catch the balance in 1 of the 20 and then I can hold it for 20-30s quite easily.

When I do not catch the balance, I fall within two seconds - basically no handstand at all. When I do catch it, I can hold myself up fairly comfortably and even move my legs between different positions.

Has anyone found themselves in this position during their handstanding progression and found a way out of it?

I have poor body shape (very arched) and will be working stomach-to-the-wall handstands to try and correct this, perhaps it will help?

Thanks for any tips.

Aaron Griffin
I have poor body shape (very arched) and will be working stomach-to-the-wall handstands to try and correct this, perhaps it will help?

Absolutely. If you can't balance you're handstand, it's likely related to form. Fix the form first, and work on simply holding a handstand for more and more time against the wall in proper form. Work it until it's comfortable. Then begin "tapping" away from the wall and free balancing for small periods of time

Make sure you squeeze your glutes, your abs, and everything else. And cover your ears.

If your kick is to vertical, it will overbalance. Kick slightly under vertical with the 2nd leg so it stops at vertical.

Hi

This may be coming late, but it helps anyone hey all good.

Here is a good article on the whole basic handstand topic. It should pretty much cover all questions.

http://www.thegympress.net/journal/archive/2008/abstract_the_handstand_training.htm The Handstand: A Four Stage Training Model

otherwise try here http://www.scribd.com/doc/40551528/

A very useful article! I helped me put the scattered info I had about handstands into a coherent whole. I have much more hope now to obtain a really stable handstand now. Many thanks!