Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

straddle press handstand

StevenL

I've been trying to work these against a wall and am having no luck, except on negatives occasionally. I can't get video on the internet, so I can't have anyone on here check my form, but does anyone have something that I could use to progress to this? or should I just keep doing negatives against the wall?

thanks

http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/16

Work the press to headstand against a wall, move your hands closer to the wall as you get better, work a tuck planche also for shoulder strength for the straight arm press against a wall. Work pike position stretches, get your hip flexors strong and flexible, lots of V-ups, that's how I worked up to it, I went behind my coaches back for awhile and had better improvements with my routine.

Kbryk, put some good drills out there.

I would reccomend coming down from a handstand, learning to control to a straddled stand or straddled split/pancake on the ground.

Get on a panel mat or raise your feet up somehow about 4-6 inches off the floor and practice pressing off this.

Practice straddled L sit to straddled stand. If you have poor hip flexor activation, do this on a height so your feet can have some clearance. Then do the negative motion.

Handstand to straddled stand with your stomach to a wall. It will teach how your legs have to move in the opposite direction.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have space for it rolling to handstand can help a lot. Also swinging up towards handstand on parallel bars if very helpful for building strength in the shoulders