Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pull Ups L Shoulder pain

lex4158

Hey guys, I have gained enough strength through practicing the L-sit that now I can do Pull ups/Chins with an L. However, I have a hard time going all the way down when doing Pull ups L. My shoulder almost pops out of the socket and does not feel right. Any suggestions?

Eddie Stelling

That exact same thing happens to me. Also happens when I dead hang in a false grip and turn my hands out at the bottom of a muscle up. I think it might have something to do with closing the shoulder angle due to inadequate strength in your core to hold your legs out in L. This makes you lean back a bit when dead hanging in L. For my muscle up issue I think it's due to my false grip not being strong enough. But I will be interested to see what people say.

That exact same thing happens to me. Also happens when I dead hang in a false grip and turn my hands out at the bottom of a muscle up. I think it might have something to do with closing the shoulder angle due to inadequate strength in your core to hold your legs out in L. This makes you lean back a bit when dead hanging in L. For my muscle up issue I think it's due to my false grip not being strong enough. But I will be interested to see what people say.

Yea that might be the case, inadequate strength in the core. I never could do an L Pull up/ Chin before, I am now just able to only do 3-4 of them but not go all the way down. Overtime I think my core will get stronger as I just started gymnastic based training.

Eddie Stelling

The weird thing is that I feel like my core has gotten relatively strong and this still happens. I can do around 10 of them in a row but when doing them with tempo which requires a pause at the bottom, it a very weird feeling just like what is described above. I will keep working at it.

The weird thing is that I feel like my core has gotten relatively strong and this still happens. I can do around 10 of them in a row but when doing them with tempo which requires a pause at the bottom, it a very weird feeling just like what is described above. I will keep working at it.

My core has gotten substantially stronger too, maybe we have tight shoulders? I might do some yoga to loosen them up.

The l-hang position can actually be quite difficult for the shoulders to handle, especially if there is just a slight tightness or imbalance. Trigger point on the rotator cuff and chest/lats helped me tremendously; I used to have the same problem but not anymore. Also how's your upper spine mobility?

The l-hang position can actually be quite difficult for the shoulders to handle, especially if there is just a slight tightness or imbalance. Trigger point on the rotator cuff and chest/lats helped me tremendously; I used to have the same problem but not anymore. Also how's your upper spine mobility?

I definitely agree. Especially if only one of your shoulders feels weird, slight imbalances between left and right (especially in the latissimus dorsi, see below) could be the reason here.

This is just a (hopefully comprehensible) theory:

I believe it is most likely to be a problem with the your latissimus dorsi. It is probably tight and has trigger points in it. One thing that changes when doing L-pull ups in comparison to regular pull ups is your hip angle. This causes your lower back to round as well. Because your latissimus dorsi attaches to your lower back and sometimes even to the crest of your ilium, by flexing your hips, the latissimus dorsi is put in a more lengthened position. If your latissimus dorsi's range of motion is restricted (by trigger points or tightness), l-pull ups may cause problems with your shoulder.

Does this make any sense? I hope so.

Anyway, my advice to you is, like Razz said, to work on trigger points. If the above is correct, working on your lats may help the most, but you should definitely work on your teres major, pectoralis minor and major, and you rotator cuff muscles (subscapularis, teres minor, infraspinatus, supraspinatus), as well.

If you don't know how to do this, google it and get The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook.