Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pressing problem

Robert Siegel

Robert Siegel

I am having trouble with pressing. For example, I can jump to shoulder stand on rings, and can do a tuck L-sit, but can't press from the L to the shoulder stand. Just can't seem to get the hips up over my body. I don't know if it's technique, balance or strength. If the latter, are reverse leg lifts helpful in developing the press? Thanks for any advice.

Alexander Moreen

You need enough upper back flexibility to have your shoulders pointing down at the floor before you try to lift your hips at all. Then you just curl your back up while compressing your legs to your chest as much as possible, then when your hips are above your shoulders extend your legs slowly or you'll fly through the straps. If any part of this is defficient then it will be much harder to complete.

Start working the negative.

in a press to shoulderstand, you will start bending your arms right as you can no longer press your hips any higher.

Robert Siegel
Start working the negative.

By this you mean from a shoulderstand, lower slowly back down?

in a press to shoulderstand, you will start bending your arms right as you can no longer press your hips any higher.

Hard to visualize this. It seems like arms start bending as you lean forward. Is there a good video to watch?

Thanks very much for the replies.

Ring series 2 or 3 should have it on the GB youtube channel. There should be countless routines of press to shoulderstand on youtube from the USA boy's compulsory routines for L6.

By this you mean from a shoulderstand, lower slowly back down?
Yes