Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Reverse Cranks

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer

Reverse Cranks build essential back lever strength and, ultimately, straight body pulling strength. Back levers, and the subsequent ability to maneuver in and out of the back lever position, are a core basic for strength development on the Xtreme Rings.

PROGRESSIONS:

1) Tuck reverse crank - Begin from an inverted pike hang as demonstrated in the photo below. From this position, begin bending your legs while extending outward a tuck back lever position. The back should be curled in this variation of back lever. During the back lever, you should feel as though the shoulders are pressing forward strongly, while the hips are pressing backward. The elbows must remain straight, however the choice of whether to use an under-grip or over-grip on the Xtreme Rings while in the back lever is a matter of personal preference.

Pause or not as you choose and then pull up; not back to the inverted pike, but up to a straight body inverted hang. Lower once more to the inverted pike hang to begin a new repetition.

reverse%20crank.jpg

2) Advanced tuck reverse crank - You will now perform both the tuck back lever and the pull out of it with a flat back. The addition of the flat back position will significantly increase the lower back strength component of this variation; not only in the back lever position itself but especially during the extension to that back lever.

3) Straddle reverse crank - From the inverted pike, extend outward into a straddle back lever. Of special note here is that the wider the legs are pulled apart in the straddle back lever, the easier the back lever position will be. Upon reaching full extension in the straddle back lever position, pull up to an inverted hang. Do not allow the back to curl during the pull upward, but struggle to maintain a flat position. During the pull to inverted hang, you should feel your hands pulling powerfully into your hips. Upon arrivng in the straight body inverted hang, lower once more to the piked inverted hand and then repeat for the desired number of repetitions.

4) Half lay reverse crank - From the inverted hang, begin by bending your knees 90 degrees while extending your hips and back outward into the back lever position. In the fully extended position of this back lever variation, your back and hips will be completely flat, but your knees will be bent with your feet pointing directly up at the ceiling. Pull up to the inverted straight body hang and then return once more to the inverted pike hang.

5) Reverse Crank - From the inverted pike, keeping the legs together and knees straight, extend out into a back lever position. Once more feel the shoulders pressing forward while pushing the rings backward. Do not merely attempt to hang in the back lever, but make this an active full body movement with the muscular tension being generated by the shoulders, hands and lower back all striving to extend simultaneously into their respective position. Pull out to a straight body inverted hang and then return once more to the inverted pike hang.

All of the above progressions may be performed either with or without a static hold in the back lever positions. Also do not hold your breath during the entire movement. I recommend holding the breath during the extension to back lever, exhaling during the pull to inverted hang and then inhaling during the return to inverted pike hang.

0qRVerPmX5c

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

coach, since the regular crank strengthens your abdominals would it be right to describe the reverse crank as primarily a lower back strengthening exercise?

Coach Sommer

Yes, that would be correct. Reverse cranks primarily focus on the lower back, although there is a strong middle back and shoulder girdle component from achieving the final back lever position.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Scott Kane

Would these be a good antagonist for Leg Raises? What would the rx'd sets/reps scheme look like?

• 3 months later...

i cant do this, but i tried a lot of times. I think my lower back is very week. Could anyone help me? What kind of exercises boosting the lower back's strenght? I really want to to this, but i cant, because i weak. :D My arms and my shoulders are strong enough, but my lower back is poor in strength.

Get the back lever down solid by progressing at it from tuck, single leg, straddle and straight body.

Body levers will help work the midline/lower back strength as well just as back/hip extension raises or holds or reverse hyperextension ( leg lifts while laying on hips/stomach ) raises/holds.

• 11 months later...
Kenneth Manning

Attempted the full reverse crank for the first time today. Nailed it! In my workout I performed 8 sets of 4 reps, with a 7 second back lever hold on the last rep of each set. The only issue I had was trying to breath during that last hold. After my workout today, Iooked in the mirror and noticed I had burst a ton of little blood vessels in my forehead. Whoops. Anyway, excellent exercise. I was looking for something to move on to from my standard back lever work. Entering the back lever from an inverted pike was definitely a bit more challenging than just lower from invert into a back lever.

After my workout today, Iooked in the mirror and noticed I had burst a ton of little blood vessels in my forehead.

My recommendation is to NOT hold your breath during extreme exertion while performing ring strength. With practice you will be able to completely tense the necessary musculature while continuing to breathing shallowly. Developing this skill is not only more healthy, but necessary; as it is not possible to hold one's breath during an entire ring routine!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hmm, I find the negative is tougher but extending out from the basket/pike requires more attention to opening the hips and not arching the body.

Kenneth Manning

Blairbob - finding the reverse crank to be more difficult than just lowering from invert may be, for me, because I've been lowering from invert to back lever for 8-10 sets for 7-12 second holds 4-5 days/week for the last 5 months. So, entering into the back lever from a different position may just be new to me.

And Coach Sommer - I was definitely attempting shallow-breathing during my reverse cranks today. It was just on the final rep of each set where I wanted to get a good 7 second static hold that I was having an issue. But you are no doubt right, learning to breath during some of these exercises takes a great deal of practice and focus.

Killroy. Gymnasts of all ages and levels will hold their breath on exercises that are intense for them.

This can be as simple as a wall HS or a lever or L-sit. This often has to do with static hold positions but can be anytime they are trying to keep their body very tight. They will tighten up everything and it's a skill to learn how to tighten up only what's necessary so they can breathe ( an example can be how relaxed sprinters are in their neck and face as they sprint ).

Sometimes, I notice when extending to the BL from the basket instead of invert, it seems to be a different type of extension of the body versus just doing the negative. So it does change it up a lil bit. I did reverse cranks tonight for my BL work I think because this was floating around in my head.