Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beginnger help w/ SSC, time, and when to progress?

dcs24

I'm sure this has been asked/answered before, and while I've read through a lot of threads, I'm becoming more confused than before.

Regarding SSC and FSP: The way I understand it is you test your max hold for step 1 for each of the 6 FSP, divide by 2, and then hold the quotient for a total of 60s. For example, I can hold a L-Sit for 18s. 18/2 = 9, 60s/9 = 9x~7s. I do 9 sets of 7s holds. After 8-12 weeks of doing this 4 days/week (about), I test. If I get a full 60s hold in one shot, I progress to the next step. If not, I re-work my max based on the formula above. Is this correct? Do I work all 6 FSP 4x/week? That seems like a lot.

Regarding Straddle L bent: I'm having great difficulty on this first step. I don't have the flexibility in my hip abductors for my thighs to not be touching my arms. So, instead of trying to work this, I can work on a seated straddle, trying to open up my hips more. Is there something else I should be working on to progress to step 1?

Regarding SSC and FBE: If you're working FSP and FBE together, does FBE span the SSC, also? If you are supposed to train all 6 FSP 4x/week, wouldn't an integrated training plan of FSP & FBE be pretty long? Can someone post an example of what they're doing?

Aaron Griffin

Don't work the straddle L until you can do a regular L. You could, however, work on your seated straddle if you want.

And yes, the SSC is a lot at first. That's because your maxes are low. Doing 9 sets is time consuming, but if you deal with it, the next SSC will be much less time consuming.

What 6 FSPs are you doing? I started with front lever, back lever, planche, l-sit, and handstand.

Alexander Moreen

The six fsp listed in the book are front lever, back lever, l sit, straddle l, manna, and planche. I would assume those are the ones he means.

I'm afraid your math got weird in there somewhere. It shouldn't be 9 sets of 7s, it should be 7 sets of 9s. And at that point doing 6 sets of 10s isn't going to hurt you.

Find a slizzardman post and check his YouTube for his fsp warmup video, that will show you how to do them in a quicker manner.

Aaron Griffin
Find a slizzardman post and check his YouTube for his fsp warmup video, that will show you how to do them in a quicker manner.

While true, he does do like sets of 20-30s or so. For super beginners (like myself) that doesn't help that much if you're going like 8x8s

Alexander Moreen

The important part is the pairing. While you're going to have more sets, if you cycle through them its going to be much quicker than if you did 8s of l sit, rest, 8 l sit etc.

Don't work the straddle L until you can do a regular L. You could, however, work on your seated straddle if you want.

And yes, the SSC is a lot at first. That's because your maxes are low. Doing 9 sets is time consuming, but if you deal with it, the next SSC will be much less time consuming.

What 6 FSPs are you doing? I started with front lever, back lever, planche, l-sit, and handstand.

I'm assuming this is phrakture from fitit?

Right now I'm only working planche, l-sit, handstand, and straddle (well, doing work to eventually get to stage 1 of the straddle).

Are you working FBE into your training, too, or no? If so, how is the volume on a day to day basis? Do you work your 4 FSPs 4x/week?

The important part is the pairing. While you're going to have more sets, if you cycle through them its going to be much quicker than if you did 8s of l sit, rest, 8 l sit etc.

Could you further explain what you mean by this? You mean the order in which I perform the FSPs?

Michael Miskelly

Most of the people on this site do the prescribed WOD's coach posts up on the forum. SSC's are generally used as an individuals warm up each day, there are 4 WOD's a week so thats your 4 SSC's done. At first you might find it too much to be able to do but you soon acclimatize to the volume.

Lavastine is talking about pairing your FSP's. An example is that I do planche paired with reverse push up, straddle l with front lever, l-sit with back lever. This way you dont have to rest as much as you would if you focused solely on one FSP at a time, you get your rest by working a different hold. So if you look at pairing your chosen positions it should cut down the overall time of your warm up because you dont need as much rest. You should try seperate your core focused FSP's so you dont end up tiring yourself out, maybe go for planche paired with straddle and handstand with l-sit. I'm not sure what the best pairing would be, maybe try a couple of different ways and see which works best for you.

Alexander Moreen

Thanks mic_skelly. That's pretty much what I was getting at. I just wanted to point out one thing though, all of dcs24s statics listed are pushing focused. Make sure you are doing some pulling to balance it all out.

Thank you mic_skelly and Lavastine!

You mention most here do the WOD in addition to their FSP work. Where do you fit in the FBE progressions with those two to get "Basic Strength" that Coach refers to in the book?

The WODs are essentially the FBEs. They are cycled through in a 30 day rotation.

Each WOD can be scaled so you are working the appropriate FBE for you.

The WODs are essentially the FBEs. They are cycled through in a 30 day rotation.

Each WOD can be scaled so you are working the appropriate FBE for you.

Excellent, thank you for the reply.