Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Starting gymnastics training, need help please?

Paolo

Ok so about me:

***: Male

Weight: 125 pounds or 56.699 kg

Height: 5'4'' or 64 inches or 162.56 cm

Flexibility: I can put my head to my knees in the pike position, I think I'm more than 12 inches away from doing a full splits, my bridge is okay, but I can't do a bacrk or front bend or walkovers. Can't do a full pancake or splits, but I'm working towards.

I can easily do 40 pushups in a row, but I guess I could pushup myself to maybe 50 or even 60.

10 chinups in a row

10 pullups in a row

I do 20 pseudo pushups in a set

I can't hold a handstand, but can hold one against a wall for about a minute.

I used to be able to run a 6 minute mile, but I stopped and I think I can do a mile in 8 minutes.

100 situps or crunches in a row, but I should probably try doing them for 30 minutes straight to get better.

My goals are probably similar to everyone on this website:

Hold a flag position for 10 seconds, work my way up to 30 seconds maybe eventually

Full planche position

front lever

back lever

one arm handstands

high bar exercises like giants and muscle ups and kip ups

basic tumbling, handsprings and flips and full twists

tucked, straddle, pike, hollowback pressup to handstand

tiger bend pushups

Some bboy moves-flares, air flares, elbow tracks, windmills, power moves

I'm wondering if this is all possible within a 6-9 month period if I work hard enough?

Right now I try to put in 200 pushup variations, plyometric, clapping, diamond, staggered, pseudo, Wall HS, wide arm, stooped, dive bomber, bridge

Around 50 pullups and 50 chinups a day

I know this is probably bad, but sometimes I rest for 5-20 minutes because I become distracted, then do another set, I heard that you should rest only 1 minute minimum or 2 minutes maximum in between each exercise, so I should stay more focused. Because my workout is spread out 5-6 hours instead of 1-2 hours. And also start running as well. And sleeping on time. Also I need help figuring out a diet as well because my daily diet consists of rice in every meal with chicken or fish or beef. I'll try looking around the forums.

Do you think there is a "P90X" version for planche training, except I think it should be renamed to "P300X" because I think most people should be able to perform a planche within a year, but each person is different and either progress slowly, moderately or quickly.

I know I should do research, but I'd like a clear, definitive, no nonsense, non-negotiable workout schedule, that I'd be confident enough not to challenge. I know there is a WOD, and I know that would help me on the road to planche, but I guess I'd need to put in more work into it? Is it too basic or easy? How long should a workout last? Elite gymnasts train train around 30-40 hours a week or so I hear. Is there anyway I can condition myself to train as rigorously as them?

Thanks

Oh and I forgot to add that I don't really work on core although I really, really should.

And I plan on posting a training log as well. I've been keeping track on the notes app of my ipod touch.

Starting from almost scratch to learn all those skills in 6-9 months is a stretch.

Of course on this forum we are going to direct you to the WODs. If you are spending as much time as you are, then there is really no reason not to start the WODs including the FSP progressions. This will at least prepare you for your list of goals.

I'd also say it would be wise to pare the list down somewhat and make it more manageable setting some intermediate goals first like just a regular handstand, a good tuck planche etc.

In any case your current workout won't really get you where you want to go. You need to build strength, which is best done in rep ranges of 3-7 and in sets of 3-5 with enough weight or leverage disadvantage to make that challenging.

For example you do lots of push ups but have you tried ring pushups which are much more difficult there are numerous variations after that in the book. You didn't mention dips at all, which some call the Squat of the upper body...

Do you have the book?

I'd also like to mention that I Can do german hangs as well. But I have to bend my legs instead of keeping them straight when they're going over my body.I can hold it for about 30 seconds, maybe a minute, and then go bring my body back over to the starting position. It's a prerequisite for the back lever right? What are the progressions for the front lever?

Alexander Moreen

I do 20 pseudo pushups in a set

I can't hold a handstand, but can hold one against a wall for about a minute.

I used to be able to run a 6 minute mile, but I stopped and I think I can do a mile in 8 minutes.

100 situps or crunches in a row, but I should probably try doing them for 30 minutes straight to get better

You say 20 pseudo pushups, but have far back are your hands placed? Are you maintaining a good hollow throughout?

If you want to work on tumbling and hand balancing skills then get a solid freestanding handstand down for sure.

30 minutes of crunches isn't going to help you do anything besides lots of crunches, replace with a harder variation.

I'm wondering if this is all possible within a 6-9 month period if I work hard enough?

Mr Brady was being kind by saying its a stretch, if you try to push yourself into all these skills in that time frame you are gonna be injured. Go look up posts by a guy named kiyoshi.

I know this is probably bad, but sometimes I rest for 5-20 minutes because I become distracted, then do another set, I heard that you should rest only 1 minute minimum or 2 minutes maximum in between each exercise, so I should stay more focused. Because my workout is spread out 5-6 hours instead of 1-2 hours. And also start running as well. And sleeping on time. Also I need help figuring out a diet as well because my daily diet consists of rice in every meal with chicken or fish or beef. I'll try looking around the forums.

You really need to get your sleep schedule regular and it needs to be at least 8 hours every night, if you skimp on that you are signifigantly hurting your recovery time, and therefore slowing down your strength gains. This one is very important.

Do you think there is a "P90X" version for planche training, except I think it should be renamed to "P300X" because I think most people should be able to perform a planche within a year, but each person is different and either progress slowly, moderately or quickly

"Most" people are not going to go from a life of no straight arm work to a full planche in a year without setting themselves up for elbow problems in a hurry. Perhaps most gymnasts and handbalancers who are well prepared from a young age can possibly gain the skill within a year of working on it.

How long should a workout last? Elite gymnasts train train around 30-40 hours a week or so I hear. Is there anyway I can condition myself to train as rigorously as them?

Happily there is a big yes to your last question. The answer is to spend the next 3-5 years slowly and carefully building up your work capacity, without making huge jumps in your workload.

But seriously, I wish you the best in all your training. Goto the basic strength section and read through and watch the videos from all the stickied topics. That will more than get your started.

I guess my main goals would be the basic tumbling skills and atleast a straddle or bent legged planche. Does that seem more reasonable within a 10 month period? I can hold a german hang or skin the cat for atleast 30 seconds, so I guess it's a prerequisite for the back lever? And learning how to do tucked, straddle, and pike pressup to handstand won't be too difficult right? Of course I need to be able to do a freestanding HS lol. It just that people on youtube make it look so easy. They tell me that they work on it for about 6 months to a year and I'm hoping I can match the speed of their progressions. I'll get more sleep. Do I need to work on cardio as well? Should I run everyday or maybe once or twice a week?

I think you haven't understand what they say. You CANNOT achieve a straddle or half-lay planche in a ten month period, and even if you could you would seriously injure your tendons.

They simply can't keep up with the strength gains. They are nurtured by diffusion and they take weeks or even months to strengthen up significantly to your actual level of planche. This is true for all the statics and all movements as well. One Steady State Cycle is 6-9 weeks, you shouldn't change the load during this time.

And it is recommended to take up all the static progressions to 60s. If you can only do the easiest variation, that's fine, do not cheat yourself by doing the harder incorrectly thus diminishing your gains.

HS is another thing opening up the shoulder is a must for a good freestanding HS. Do stomach to wall HS, Wall Slides, look for stertches at Ido's articles/topics. The WOD's will take care of your HS pressing strength.

Runnig twice a week will be more than enough but it isn't a part of the programme.

Couple of words from me but I reckon I'll leave it to the experts here :)

Good Luck!

Philip Chubb

That is quite a list. There is no issue with wanting to achieve it all. However, I will say that you should drop the timeframe. Don't worry about when you get it. It isn't a race. Next, start to work on the WOD and the FSP. If you don't have the book, there is a place where you can start.

If you can get the planche in that amount of time with no injuries you should seriously think about taking up gymnastics because you have some serious genetic talent for it. The people who say it took them 10 months probably aren't including the time they spent doing more basic moves before they began training the planche. A front lever is considered an easier move than the planche and I came into with a strength reserve (chining with half my bw for reps) still don't have a solid one after one in a half year of training.

10 months time is like saying you want to bench 300 lbs. in 10 months times without any previous training to benching. Most people who progress that fast in the bench become elite level lifters, for the average person (who just started) to get to 300 takes years.