Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Straight Arm Press to Handstand

Troy Rodriguez

Troy Rodriguez

I was wondering what the progressions/hold times should be on handstands before starting to work this movement.

I can currently hold a FS HS for about 15 seconds. Headstands are no problem and neither are RLL from HeS in Pike. HLL are not an issue and can pump out 10 with toes to the bar. HeS push-ups against wall are at about 8. I can also put my whole hands on the floor in a standing Pike stretch.

It just seems that I can't even figure out how to activate the muscle groups needed to get my feet off the ground when starting this movement. I lean down with my arms straight on the floor, then start leaning a bit forward. Once there I can't even figure out how to start to raise my lower body off the floor.

What am I missing or are there some progressions that I am simply not efficient enough at yet to complete? Should I start from Box press to HS or go back and work something else prior and build it up?

Start with a straddle Press to Handstand, if you're not already doing so. It is *much* easier to start from a straddle, dependent of course, on how good your active straddle flexbility is.

That, and concentrate on trying to get you hips up directly above your shoulders.

I'm sure others will have additional pointers.

Wall Presses. I started these for myself and gymnasts as negatives. Negative down and hold bottom of how low they could hold which we called "spider HS". Just a name another coach I knew called this position of the press HS. Eventually lower down, hold, press up. You have to find the point where you cannot press from and lower to just above their.

You can try the bent arm HS RLL.

Another good drill besides HLL is doing HLL in straddle to stalder hang. this is basically an upside down straddle hang with the straddle at horizontal.

Troy Rodriguez

Yeah I started doing negatives as I thought that would target where my weakness w. as. It had been working but I am taking it slow. That way I don't forfeit form on the negative. So far its been killer workout. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
Troy Rodriguez

So I have been doing HeS RLL for a few weeks now and can get 3x10 pretty easily. I was wondering if the 3x5 method was what I should be using according to the book. In other words should I raise my head an inch on a mat until i can do 3x5 and then raise it again or should i stick to 3x10 for this skill?