Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Active Flexibility for L-Sit

Aaron Griffin

Aaron Griffin

My L-Sit progressions, thus far, haven't been the same as the book. The reason for this is that I don't have P-Bars. Pushup handles on the floor are what I used. The "Tuck" L-Sit was basically knee-to-chest. From there I extended out a bit ("High Bent Leg L-Sit" is what I recorded) and then a little farther ("Low Bent Leg L-Sit"). Right now I am comfortable doing the low bent leg variation for about 20s (even though it is hard).

When I try to fully extend my legs, I simply can't keep them high enough. It doesn't feel like it's the abs, it feels like it's the hip flexors/quads. The bent-leg variations don't seem to work those muscles at all.

My question is: what can I do to increase the active flexibility here? Is there any way I could change up my L-Sit work to make it more relevant to the final product? I'm not working on the full version just yet (still on an SSC for the low bent leg variation), but I have tested it a few times.

As an aside, I'd like to be able to do this from the floor eventually. Should I wait for an L-Sit on the pushup handles, or should I take a step back and train on the floor right now?

One technique that helped me out a lot is to do the movement on the floor. Sit down with your legs straight out in front of you, and put your hands near your thighs. Then using your hands as support, lift your legs as high as you can...shoot for maybe 60 seconds total of holding that. You're not actually lifting yourself off the floor, you're just using your hands to help you keep your legs up high. You can move your hands towards your feet to make it easier or toward your hips to make it harder. You can also work on your Straddle-L this way, just put your hands in between your legs and do the same thing.

Yep, this is what we do in the WU but isn't in the GB WU. I just like it.

Instead of the pushup bars, gain some height by doing it on chairs.

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

I had, and still have the same problem as you describe, even if my L-sit with hands on floor has improved to a 15-20 second hold (from 5-7 seconds a year ago). In my case, it is lack of hamstring flexibility (both passive and active). So, before my SSC part of the workout, which includes L-sit on the floor, I do at least 20 minutes of stretching; mostly hamstrings and hip flexors. It takes a lot of patience, because increases in flexibility in my case come at snails pace. You can also stretch on your off-days, as long as you don't do it too aggressively. I still have a long way to go, for example to be able to do a HS press up, but I am at least at a point that a workout does not feel good without the stretching. Try it, you may like it.

Alexander Moreen

Do your feet fall or do you maintain your l shape and rotate forward? The issue could also be shoulder strength, in which case focus on pressing your hips forward by pulling your hands back.

Aaron Griffin
Do your feet fall or do you maintain your l shape and rotate forward? The issue could also be shoulder strength, in which case focus on pressing your hips forward by pulling your hands back.

It's likely a little of both, but mostly the legs not making it up to 90 degrees.

I started working in the pike-lift mentioned earlier. This seems like it should help. Thanks! Any opinion on how often or long this sort of thing should be held for? I'd just like some sort of goal to shoot for. I did 5x30s earlier today.