Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Butterfly Pull to Iron Cross

Coach Sommer

In your mind picture a pull-up performed with straight arms and ending in an iron cross position. This element is called a butterfly and is demonstrated beautifully here by Wesley Haagensen of the USA Sr National Team.

Notice how the intial wide-arm MU to set his grip is completely effortless for him. When attempting to develop this degree of high level ring strength for yourself, it is important to realize that first things must come first. Following the correct strength progressions, maintaining a high quality of movement and and being meticulous in your joint prehab (as well as vast amounts of patience :D) are essential.

_Tr_-4yqpvI

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alvaro Antolinez

Wow that is amazing! The blue tape is used to help the healing of muscle tears or something like that ( is suppossed to improve blood flow to the area). it is used a lot by tennis and soccer players too.

Looked at the rest of his videos and his inverted cross needs a lot of work. If he can't do it yet then I can't imagine I ever will.

Anyone remember that guy who claimed he could do an inverted cross after only like 6 months of GB training? His background was powerlifting. He said stuff like, "This exercise is too easy for me now, I don't see the point of doing it anymore." Dude was a total liar.

• 1 month later...

damn............. I have trained that skill for almost a year now and I still can't do it. I can do it in the straps, but its a HUGE difference. Gregor, can you do this skill?

Anyone remember that guy who claimed he could do an inverted cross after only like 6 months of GB training? His background was powerlifting. He said stuff like, "This exercise is too easy for me now, I don't see the point of doing it anymore." Dude was a total liar.

Lol yeah I remember this guy. Full planche, cross, inverted cross...

damn............. I have trained that skill for almost a year now and I still can't do it. I can do it in the straps, but its a HUGE difference. Gregor, can you do this skill?

I did it before (to difficult for me for D and stopped training for it), and done to maltese wich is not that diffrent from this (same as for cross to difficult for E).

Now nothing (I can do active support and no pain at BL). I hope I'll start soon (oh yea I can do OAC, tried it yesterday with healthy right arm) :mrgreen: .

So this skill is rated at D, are there any strength moves with the cross that are C rated (I don't mean stuff like kip to cross or backuprise to cross but slow pressing/pulling movements)? Gregor were you always able to do a OAC or did you just try it recently and were able to do it?

Just tried it yesterday. I never tried it before (ok I did but it was last year when I've been injured on right arm and hurted so as hell so I stoped).

We never do that at training, so maybe others can do to.

Edited: slowely to cross are Ds (+honma and li-ning cross) and kips are Cs (just basic is an B). It's one more but it is a bounce to iron cross. IT's like butterfly to cross at the second part. Sou start at support and decrease to hang (not dead) and bounce up again.

Yeah, my wrists were killing my one day and I didn't want to do anything else so I tried a one arm pull-up and it didn't feel to hard so I did about 2 more. I can get around 3 with each arm. I have never trained them before.

I think the butterfly emphasizes the lat muscles. The part that really kills my shoulder is trying to rotate them forward once you get the cross position. That skill should definitely be an E! I think pulling from hang to maltese should be an F. I don't know what the committee was thinking when they made that skill a D!

Most cross variations are D level skills. Like Gregor said, the only C crosses are back uprise cross, kip cross, front uprise cross, and feldge cross.

• 5 weeks later...
Michael Traynor

Lol yeah I remember this guy. Full planche, cross, inverted cross...

Pfft I can do a victorian but they are so similar to lying down that I kept falling asleep during them so I don't do them anymore.

;D

Pfft I can do a victorian but they are so similar to lying down that I kept falling asleep during them so I don't do them anymore.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a link to his profile to view his post? That sounds like it could be genuinely hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...

rofl, my background is powerlifting and there is so little carry over, it's not funny. As you've already pointed out, he was absolutely full of it :P

This is a nice long term goal to set I think... I'm just about to get into some IC training since I've finally got coach's pre-reqs done.

How do people go about training a buttefly pull? besides the obvious solid iron cross. Negatives? assisted? natural side effect of doing lots of iron crosses?