Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where Does Back Bend Initiate From?

jamesters

In ballet, back bends initiate from the upper back, and only after reaching the full stretch from the upper back does the stretch move down to the lower back, but doing back bends in ballet is different (they don't go all the way down to their hands). I'm wondering if this is good technique for any form of back bending movement, especially a traditional back bend that goes down to the hands, or if traditional gymnastic technique teaches to just initiate from the lower back, perhaps because it's simpler/quicker or whatever.

Backbends initiating from the lower back are a guaranteed recipe for pain!

Keep the back bend out of the lower back for as long as possible, as you initiate the extension of the spine in the upper back, you also extend the hips rotating them back as far a possible and lean forward a bit. Keep lifting your chest, reach with your arms and turn the upper back musculature on to round down so if feels like your hands are pointing to the floor, maintain some tightness in the belly, lower by bending your knees if needed.

It takes a fair amount of practice and flexibility work for the average guy to to it, so be patient. Like i've said before, get your regular bridge rock solid and deep! Work the wall walks, at least as a warm up, drop back to box or the wall at first.

• 1 month later...

Jamesters you've done me proud!

Phenomenal improvement!

Folks note the massive degree of hip extension Jamesters was maintaining during the entire seal movement.

It feels like you could get just a touch more hip extension (without out blowing your groin out in front of the legs) This may help you get to the point that you can softly touch your hands to the floor without any drop at all.

As you walk up to the ankles, eventually you will grab them, and then eventually walk the hands up towards your hips.

Great Job!

BTW- Have you made any progress with your foot behind the head?

Wow, it's been awhile since I've seen a backbend better than mine by a guy.

I love telling the kids that it's time to show them the No-handed bridge. Always fun.

BTW- Have you made any progress with your foot behind the head?

Yes, I still don't have the ability to kick my leg over my head like Rubberlegz, but I've gotten to the point where I can maintain an almost completely straight back while having my leg over my head.

Rubberlegz is an amazing artist!

Does anyone here have much info about him? I've asked around about him on other forums before and it seems no one knows much about his training. I've heard mixed descriptions. Someone told me he's naturally flexible and simply had the natural ability to kick his leg over his head. Another told me he trains 8 hours a day. If he trains that much, I'm sure a significant portion would include flexibility, in which case I would doubt he's THAT natural.

It's crazy though, because I watch a lot of front bending on Youtube, and there really are people that simply had the ability to kick their leg over their head as a child and they maintained that ability as they grew older. I've seen fewer who actually developed the ability through hard training with an intelligent approach. I've been into contortion 7 years, the more recent 4 years specifically into front bending (leg behind head stuff). While I've made great progress, the kicking leg behind head trick is still mind-blowing to me. My body proportions probably play a big role on this one. I have short legs in comparison to torso size, and my legs are muscular. People who do the kicking skill I've noticed tend to have skinny legs, long legs in comparison to torso size, and probably a lesser factor of wide hips.

Joshua Naterman

This would have to be verified, but i believe that Rubberlegz and a few others like him actually have a different form of collagen. This is caused by a genetic mutation and leads to hyperflexibility. It is a known genetic anomaly that is fairly rare, but I can not remember if he's one of them.

I can't comment on his genetic makeup or his training - I only know Rubberlegz from his Youtube clips. But he does have the skinny long legs and that probably doesn't hurt in doing what he does.