Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Getting Started

Tom Docking

Hello Coach and fellow GBers:

I am a new member to the forum and this is my first post. I am 60, have great cardio fitness having recently competed in the World Triathlon Championships in Budapest. However, I don't have the strength I used to have and after searching the Web, believe that Gymnastic Training as set out in your book, which I just received, is the way to go. I am making some parallettes and have rings ordered.

Problem, after reading your Book and looking at a lot of the posts on this Forum, I am confused as to how to begin.

I am good with training the 4 days, M,T,Th and F, I just don't know what to do. I thought I would find a "beginner's plan" in the Book, but I didn't find it.

So, assuming I have no strength and want to start, what would you or fellow GBers suggest as a good way to start??

For instance, on all for days, do 3x5 for LSit, Push ups, Row, Vup and Deck Squat. Something from each "catagory"?

Or perhaps you can point me to a program I can start with. I've looked but haven't found it.

Or, Coach, pretend I arrived at your Gym and wanted to start gymnastic training. Besides throwing me out, how would you begin my training?

Thanks,

For you, I would prescribe the daily GB WOD, scaled accordingly within reason.

If you were not to do the GB WOD, I would subscribe the SteadyStateCycle for the three basic FSP's and couple it with 1 push, pull, leg, and core movement 3x5 for SSC as well. That means finding out the maximum repetitions you could do of any movement (ex. pullup) and then doing 50% of that movement.

Look at the Killroy70 program to figure out how to rotate vertical, horizontal, inverted push&pull variations. I would rotate the HLL, situp/Vup, back extension, and horizontal/inverted leg lift, rotating SLS, deck squats, and glute-ham variations.

Before you hit the WOD, do the basic FSP warmups and before and after, do any joint mobility besides what is dictated in the WOD.

Its all about being very liberal with the scaling at first.

As Blair Bob said above the Kilroy is one way to go. Its more or less what i did the first few months, but i have found the WODs to be better still. You only need to 're-interpret' them to your ability level.

Don't forget that they assume you are doing a nice warm up, and preferably working on the static holds. At first they may just be hollow plank and hollow hold and arch hold which are the first steps of the planche, front lever and back lever progressions. Build these to 3 x 60 seconds.

In the WOD itself, just look in the book starting from the beginning step of each exercise. Pushing starting from push up on the floor and pulling starting from rows. If the combined movements are too much then just break them into their components for a while.

I try to give you my experience as a beginner, what I've found is that I was in no way able to start on either killroy program or WOD as scaling to my level would have meant just doing push ups, rows, dips and pull ups. Not many reps though.

I Don't know if I'm in the position to give you advices, but this is what I'd suggest you to start with.

4 days a week of (in the given order):

- warm up (mobility)

- strength (static and dynamic)

- stretching (passive and pnf)

warm up

-----------

10 circles for each of: neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, hip, knees, ankles

3*10 sec of static hold of: front plank (push up position), reverse plank (reverse push up), side plank (for each side)

3*10 sec of static hold of: hollow and arch (superman)

shoulder and wrists mobility routines (search this forum and youtube)

strenght

----------

6*10sec tripod headstand (not sure on this, it really depends on where you are, be safe, it can be dangerous given your age, surround yourself with mats and pillows)

6*10 pb (parallel bars) or chair support

6*10 sec ring skinning the cat holding the bottom position (german hang) and getting all the way back (don't drop from the german hang, keep rings low, just in case you need to put your feet on the floor from the german hang)

6*10 sec L-sit tuck (between chairs or on pb)

-------------- on even days (every other workout)------------------

5*5 ring push ups (elevate rings or feet based on your level, you should find the right intensity to which you can complete 5 reps on the first set but maybe just 2 or 3 in the last 2 sets in the beginning)

5*5 ring rows (same as for push ups)

------------ on odd days (every other workout)----------------------

5*5 pb dips (same as for push ups, scale as necessary)

5*5 bar pull ups (same as for push ups, scale as necessary)

3*15 full squats (no weights, just work on full rom -range of movemement- keep feet just very slightly pointed out at shoulder width and heels always firmly on the ground, to my experience is better to focus on rom, trying to go bottom to heels even if it means holding onto something with your hands at waist level)

5*5 tuck hanging leg lift from a bar (lift as high as you can but slowly and in control)

stretching

-------------

get a good book on the subject with clear illustrations and aim for 20min of a balanced routine.

so, as you can see everything it's the same on every workout besides the alternation of horizontal and vertical push/pull dynamic exercise.

keep in mind that the most important parts are: GOOD form, ROM and intensity/quality. You have to finish a workout not even close to be exhausted, aim for a fair recovery time between sets (around 1') and exercise (3').

Take it easy, consistency and continuity are your best weapons.

ENJOY THE RIDE.

wow, long post... I should make a pdf of it!!

have a look at my log for further beginner ideas.

If doing the WOD means scaling things down to pushups, rows, pullups, and the like, then that is fine! Everyone starts somewhere. The WOD just puts it in very good planning. But don't worry about what level you are doing. With a little sweat, it will increase.

Well, I have tried. I have read lots of the posts, most of which have the same theme; seeking help. As mentioned, I am starting new. I can't believe it is so hard to say give us some concrete guidance. The common response to do the WOD might be wonderful, however I will need to learn new exercises each day and then try to figure how how to scale them backwards to something I can do. WOD could be a year away and seem great, but not for me now.

Anyway, as mentioned, when I bought your book, I thought it would have some beginner's program in it. It didn't.

Why not tell us how a beginner can start out working 4 times a week, using the exercises in your book and say with parallettes or rings? It can't be that difficult or time consuming for you to do that.

Anyway, this is my last attempt to try to get some answer as to how to start, otherwise I will go it alone.

And for everyone, when are the other books going to start to come out; I look forward to them and will buy them.

Thanks,

Why not tell us how a beginner can start out working 4 times a week, using the exercises in your book and say with parallettes or rings? It can't be that difficult or time consuming for you to do that.

It also shouldn't be that difficult or time consuming to understand proper programming.

Fundamentals of bodyweight strength training: http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/3/th ... -training/

The above article will teach you all that you need to know. Interestingly, your conclusions will be very similar to what has already been posted in this thread, namely the killroy template.

Consider that there might be some truths to every Getting Started thread answering that the GB WoDs is the best course of action. If you want to convince yourself that it is not for you, then fine, do the killroy template. But know that, a year later, when you do start your GB WoDs with all that training experience, you will wish that you started with the WoDs in the first place. If that still isn't enough to convince you, I also suggest to read some of Slizzardman's posts which aims to dispels beginniners fears about tackling the WoDs. In fact, I think there was one done just yesterday.

Thanks for your input.

This is the last WOD I could find on the site:

Report this postReply with quoteWOD - 101203

by Coach Sommer on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:21 pm

Complete four rounds:

60 sec HS Wall Run

4 Wheels

8 Russian Dips

12 Swinging Dips

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) The 60 seconds of HS Wall Runs should be performed without interruption.

2) If Wheels are too difficult, substitute Germans. If Germans are too difficult, try one of these explosive pushup variations.

3) Move immediately from the Wheels to the Russian Dips to the Swinging Dips.

3) Rest 2-3 minutes between rounds

4) Scale the movements as necessary to allow the correct repetition range to be performed for a given movement

So, if we "scaled this for a beginner" we would end up with:

Trying to do a handstand against a wall

4 push ups, clapping perhaps

dips between two chairs

??

I would appreciate how you would see this "scaled" for a beginner.

Also, do most people own paraellel bars and an 18 foot rope, etc. or are most getting by with rings and say parallettes?

Thanks,

Aleister Ruffer

So, if we "scaled this for a beginner" we would end up with:

Trying to do a handstand against a wall

4 push ups, clapping perhaps

dips between two chairs

??

I would appreciate how you would see this "scaled" for a beginner.

Also, do most people own paraellel bars and an 18 foot rope, etc. or are most getting by with rings and say parallettes?

Thanks,

Replace ??? with XR or PB support. Maybe pike/plank/prone if you aren't strong enough for full RTO support. If you are, try swinging for time.

I'm guessing most of us have rings and parallettes. Not too many of us have a rope - we wind up subbing towel pullups (throw a towel over the bar).

.... I can't believe it is so hard to say give us some concrete guidance...

I'm not coach for sure but as an adult newcomer who just got one step beyond the entry level and is making his way to r'xd wod (I don't like the pain of figuring out effective scaling), I think my experience can help many other newcomers given that they're humble enough to listen, I laid out a very thoroughly plan, shame you didn't appreciate it.

Anyway, this is my last attempt to try to get some answer as to how to start, otherwise I will go it alone.

yea, you better do it on your own, it seems that everybody is wasting time trying to help you out.

Yes, I do appreciate the assistance and will be using aspects of what you did. Just don't know why we all have to invent our own way to start.

It will work out, just frustrated.

Thanks