Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question on hyperextended elbows

Tom Hiltbrunn

Gerald Mangona

Got it. Here are some takeaways I've gotten...

(1) FSPs and Joint Work are not supposed to be strenuous. Think of them as muscular endurance style exercises. For example, when I do the rice bucket circles, I've been doing them with flat palms to really work the forearm muscles, even though they are really difficult. I really feel my forearms burning by the 10-12th rep. Maybe I should step back and do them with closed fists until they get easy...so easy that they are probably "underloaded" for a few weeks before moving up. Same applies to forearm curls.

(2) muscle tension is related. It's important for me to work the trigger points up and down the entire arm, not just where the most pain is. As I've released some of the tension at my lateral epicondylite, I'm noticing how much tension I have at the tricep insertion and up at the shoulder. Need to work these all the time, not just when injured.

(3) I can do all my strength work on the WOD or the FBE. So really, FSP/joint work should feel like a long, easy run with little to no strain. Ok to push on the WOD/FBE, within the correct volume.

We'll be able to go into more detail about some of that stuff when Liquid Steel™ has been publicly available for a bit.

Not to be a nag...but how much longer til I can buy it! :) Joint work is where I need the most help right now.

Thanks,

JM

Well, Jman. DukeNukem beat LiquidSteel. Well so far. I think it was supposed to be out in May but now is June (DukeNukem). Time will tell.

Nobody knows.

I do notice now my elbows look like they have some hyperextension in them. They never used to. The left also has more than the right due to an armbar injury.

I have the best injury prevention for the elbow is to just watch volume and intensity. I have to "release" my left elbow often by making a popping sound. A lot of the elbow series helps this as it's one of the reasons my elbow gets sore apparently is because of how my shoulders are (and yes I'm working on them). In fact a lot of the elbow series just relaxes that tension and pain that builds up.

Well, Jman. DukeNukem beat LiquidSteel. Well so far. I think it was supposed to be out in May but now is June (DukeNukem). Time will tell.

AHAHAHA. Out of no where but welcomed! I think if he released a book it would be more along the lines of "Ball of Steel" though :lol:

Jman, personally I would think of the FSPs and joint work as skill work rather than muscular endurance. Which is why they are preferred to go as warmups rather than after strength routines.

Joshua Naterman

Man when June comes around it's going to be time to kick butt and play videogames, and I'm all out of butt to kick.

To the DUKE! *raises a glass* :lol:

Yes, just remind me to not go balls out at the seminar, especially when cold. It took me over a month to recover. Bah.

Joshua Naterman

OOOH that sucks! Don't worry, I'm in the same boat. I have no desire to hurt myself.

I'm getting way too old for another injury. NAIGC nationals is in Sacramento next year which means I can easily go. I'd like to have some decent routines and be working routines this year instead of playing catch-up with rehab. 1 year is a lot of time to improve if I can stay healthy and I have a great place to workout now 5-6x/week.