Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is there an ideal posture for eliminated/preventing pain?

Neal Winkler

Of course we all know that one of the biggest trends in fitness is improving posture to meet an ideal standard. I thought for sure that posture was super important for pain prevention but I recently read a couple articles that argue it's not quite as important as we thought (for that purpose).

Check em out and tell me what you think!

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/articles/a ... an/posture

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/stand-up-straight.php

Even if there isn't real good science behind posture training for the elimination of pain, at the very least it is important for appearances. "Poor" posture isn't attractive.

I started off very skeptical, but finished with an appreciation for what these articles have to say, especially regarding defining posture not as a position but as a process. I wonder if I would add to that list that a good posture should allow for correct breathing. It seems an adequate criteria for defining proper posture.

And it makes a point of something I've had such difficulty convincing people in my master's psychology program: it is contrary to wellbeing to make people functional and healthy within unhealthy systems. I don't much see the value in making a person functional within a dysfunctional society, and similarly, in making a person comfortable in a chair. Maybe comfort while sitting is pathological, and discomfort while sitting is adaptive and indicative that our basic human drive to move about is unimpeded and unhindered.

Maybe I should start putting tacks on my chairs :D

Triangle you've pulled the proverbial 'pearl out of a pigs rump'!

Great articles, and i have to say even as a yoga teacher, i like what the saveyourself article has to say. In fact if there is any real reason that yoga works for some people, its more than likely the increased body awareness that it brings, its all about the inspiration, and moving. We aren't like die cast dolls that should just be posed perfectly and permanently. Beyond that the world of pain and posture is a very mysterious one and at least for myself the best cures have required me to be involved with them in a mindful but not obsessive way.

I know there are many Egoscue fans here, myself included, and as you read the saveyourself article it may seem to contradict his, but personally i don't believe so, at least not entirely.

I've come to think of posture somewhat like trees. How many trees do you see that are perfectly straight? They have an organic spiraling alignment, but they are never perfect, well maybe some conifers come close. Similarly some bodies are conifers and some are oaks i'm not so convinced that there is need to change the oak.

Alignment is an organic entity and we seem to want to oversimplify and idealize it.

Thanks - I really enjoyed this one triangle.