Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where to from here?

Tyler Phillips

Tyler Phillips

Hi all. I feel as though I've been hitting a bit of a rut lately with my ring training and am looking for any suggestions to help progress my training. Here's some examples of what I've been capable of as of late:

- 3 sets of at least 8 Bulgarian Dips, each set starting with a dead hang slow muscle-up. The last set doesn't quite make it to 8 most of the time... >_>

- Tucked FL for 30s, recently did 3 sets of 20s.

- Advanced Tucked BL for ~5-10s.

- Holding basic support with good form for ~30s.

- 2-3 sets of 8 tucked 360 pulls.

- L-sit (never timed myself, but can hold for at least 3-5s)

I guess I'm writing this to ask for any ideas or suggestions on how to progress further. At this stage I'm most interested in nailing a full BL or FL (obviously BL would be easier), and I've been trying to revisit Coach's original article for that (hence the sets of static holds). My larger victory later on down the road is the Cross, but ever since I read Coach's progression for his kids (something like L-Sit, L-Sit press to HS, Planche, then the Cross) I've stopped working on it intently, as before I was crossing out as far as I could and then pressing back to support. Rings goal for life is a Maltese Cross, but that's for another time. :D

I've been doing my training outdoors in the woods these past few months, but pretty soon it'll get too cold to continue it where I train. As a result all my ring training will soon be in an actual gym, and that pair isn't a low pair like what I train on; due to a longer cord all the stuff I can do now will be inherently harder so that's one thing I'll have to adjust for (and will get stronger for). I'll also be doing more floor stuff to compensate, but that's another post.

So yeah, any suggestions you guys have would be great. Also, I'm welcome to anything off the rings as well - I recently got a Captain's of Crush No. 1 grip trainer and have found my false grip stronger than ever. :D

Just work a steady state cycle in for the levers, at least or the ring series from the GB WOD's or the basic strength FSP series from the GB WOD's (BL+FBE, L-sit+FBE, FL+FBE).