Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Outward Rotation of Leg

Beluge

Hello everyone,

I have a postural problem. My legs are rotated outwards. The kneecaps point slightly out rather than forward. Imagine standing with your feet in a "V" shape. That's like what I have, just that I have it even when my feet point straight forward. I thought it was a hip abductor weakness so I have been performing some of the exercises here: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/HipsWt ... hor1938163

However, I have not seen any improvement over the past few weeks. Can anyone give me some advice on corrective exercises? I'm not sure what the underlying cause is.

I feel like the rotation of the legs restricts my stretching in the straddle and pike positions.

Thank you for your help !

Here's a really important one for you:Ga5a5ySQjGg

Try some adductor foam rolling:

b35w8u4mJP0

Also, check your dorsiflecion ROM:

Lcw4HXnH-8E

Maybe even a piriformis stretch:

0Z6jlBsgak0

Your piriformis is probably out of whack. Too tight. You probably, like me have poor range of motion as far as internal rotation of knee as well.

Lots of stretching or perhaps some ActiveReleaseTherapy

Thanks for the advice! I've been performing the Knee to Knee stretch and some piriformis stretches. Apart from stretching, are there any exercises I can do to strengthen the muscles which will hold my legs in the correct position?

To combat the heavy external rotation in my basic bw/air squat, I started doing sets throughout the day or in my warmup with feet forward, hip width. Slizzard once wrote about that and a lot of other stuff in a post once 6mo-year ago. I'd have to sift through his posts to find it.

One of the basic postural drills we do in yoga for this issue is to stand with a block between your legs. I like to take the block as high up in the groin as possible. While standing you try to move the block backwards, this will rotate your femur so the knees point forwards. At the same time think of widening the gluteal fold.

When this makes sense you can try the following variations -

Do it in plank

Do it in reverse plank

Squat with the block between your knees