Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lower back pain

Mathias Flækøy

Sorry to hear about that-

Pete Egoscue's Pain Free is highly recommended

I also like 'Treat Your Own Back' by Robin McKenzie. Its VERY simple and pragmatic.

This is coming up allot, when i get back from Mallorca i will try to put some lumbar release videos up.

In the meantime, check out one of the above books as they are a very useful jumping off point. You could go to some other kind of body worker, that won't go on your permanent record. Doctor's aren't always the best place to start anyway, unless you just want pain meds.

• 1 month later...
Mathias Flækøy

I've got an example of the book "Pain Free" and i'm trying to some of the exercises listed - lying down on stomach, then lift your upperbody up with your elbows. However, i'm afraid it dont work. I was playing around with a legWOD here another day, and the pain got even worse.

Please, help.

Man i'm sorry to hear that, its been quite a while now.

In general, pain is a very tricky thing. You want to find positions that you are comfortable with, exercises, from the book for example, that don't cause pain. We need to loose the pain, and gradually improve the ROM.

Often folks with back pain will either find that bending forward or bending backward are worse. Its good to know which is worse for you and be more cautious with those types of movements.

Leg work can be very hard on the low back. When i've had some of my worst episodes, it was nearly impossible to lift my leg while lying on my back. Yes it got better, and have no problems now. Pain is usually temporary as long as you don't keep aggravating it.

I know you said that you can't go to a doctor and get stamped as a back person. Truth said Doctors aren't always the best place to go for back pain anyway.

I STRONGLY urge you to seek out a body worker/yoga teacher/physical therapist etc who has a reputation for helping with back pain.

Make some calls, go online, etc.

You will have to pay for it out of your own pocket, but it won't go on your permanent record. This is the best advice i can give you online. These problems need someone to be physically present there are too many variables that get missed online for a problem as severe as your yours sounds to be.

Yes i understand it tough out there right now. No money means you have to really get in there and learn what you can with the resources on hand. The internet is a great tool.

You can try to give a more detailed description of what's going on, pics and videos help allot with that, and maybe we can give you some ideas.

How much time do you spend in a chair everyday? Can you be more detailed about when you feel the pain, is it sharp or dull, does it hurt while doing something or come on later etc...?

Mathias Flækøy
Yes i understand it tough out there right now. No money means you have to really get in there and learn what you can with the resources on hand. The internet is a great tool.

You can try to give a more detailed description of what's going on, pics and videos help allot with that, and maybe we can give you some ideas.

How much time do you spend in a chair everyday? Can you be more detailed about when you feel the pain, is it sharp or dull, does it hurt while doing something or come on later etc...?

Right now I can't feel anything actually, but for about three days ago I could feel the pain all the time. It was just annoying, and I was rellative stiff. However, two days ago when I should go to bed it become so much worser. When i moved my body in a random position, I could get a sharp pain and from my back and into my abs - the det reaction was that i tightened my abs and had to say "Ah", if you understand.

Luckily, this went over rellative quick. I'm trying to aggravate the pain right now, but i feel almost fine. It's not like i get pain when i lift something heavy. When im leaning backwards in a standing position and trying to relax my backmuscles it feels like my muscles are tightened - and it feels i have to wriggle my hip to a side just to get a "crack".

I could just feel the pain on the right side for some weeks ago, but then i went on both sides. And now, i cant feel so much actually. Also, when i lay down and turn my hip side to side, it cracks very often.

Oh, what a mess. Hope you can read it. I'm so glad you're taking time. I appreciate it so much!

Joshua Naterman

After my recent experiences with the trigger point therapy workbook and the pages that have recently been linked in threads concerning trigger points, I would highly suggest that you educate yourself and use a guided approach to self therapy. I have seen incredible results with my shoulders here at home, the mobility increases are outlandishly good, I mean I wouldn't believe anyone if they told me the results before this. Trigger points aren't always the problem, but they are easy to treat yourself for the most part and if they are the problem you simply won't believe how fast relief and increased mobility comes. I think that the trigger point resources are a fantastic addition to self treatment. Pain free teaches good re-education and basic self-diagnostic procedures but does not cover trigger points as a possible culprit. Together the two methods will be much more effective.

Mathias Flækøy
After my recent experiences with the trigger point therapy workbook and the pages that have recently been linked in threads concerning trigger points, I would highly suggest that you educate yourself and use a guided approach to self therapy. I have seen incredible results with my shoulders here at home, the mobility increases are outlandishly good, I mean I wouldn't believe anyone if they told me the results before this. Trigger points aren't always the problem, but they are easy to treat yourself for the most part and if they are the problem you simply won't believe how fast relief and increased mobility comes. I think that the trigger point resources are a fantastic addition to self treatment. Pain free teaches good re-education and basic self-diagnostic procedures but does not cover trigger points as a possible culprit. Together the two methods will be much more effective.

Thanks. I will look it up!

This kind of problem will often respond well to lying on a lacrosse ball.

For the first time in my life i had a serious case of Lumbago (yes that what its actually called) last year. Too much stress, hosting a workshop that was a small disaster, and my back just seized up, i had to polity slip out of a workshop i was hosting!

It can be nearly crippling when its bad, i thankfully have a number of tricks up my sleeve, and laying on the ball was one of the first once i could think about moving.

I haven't forgotten about putting up some videos about how i deal with this, i just have a couple of projects i have to attend to first, new year starting at the school and all.

Tom Hiltbrunn

WHOA!!!! i have had some issues with my lower back for a few days. i tweaked it when i went snowboarding and biffed really hard and when i was stunting today i tweaked it even more. then i read about just leaning over the back of the chair and i tried it..... WOW! it worked! it was pressing on my mid back so like at the top of the lower back muscles and the pain subsided. not completely but it did. there's gotta be something to that

Here's a post I made some time ago, there's some links to a girl who explains trigger points very well and shows pictures:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3512&hilit=+trigger+point

I've also found bridging to be very helpful in helping back pain. I used to have a lot of problems with it when I had my growth spurt because I'm so tall. Massage helped and my back was quite flexible but I think my it just wasn't strong enough. I only notice it occasionally now if I sit at a seat without a backrest for extended periods of time. The bridging strengthened up a lot. Started doing just headstand bridging but recently took the hands away and balance just on my head now (from Matt Furey's progressions).

Mathias Flækøy
Here's a post I made some time ago, there's some links to a girl who explains trigger points very well and shows pictures:

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vi ... gger+point

I've also found bridging to be very helpful in helping back pain. I used to have a lot of problems with it when I had my growth spurt because I'm so tall. Massage helped and my back was quite flexible but I think my it just wasn't strong enough. I only notice it occasionally now if I sit at a seat without a backrest for extended periods of time. The bridging strengthened up a lot. Started doing just headstand bridging but recently took the hands away and balance just on my head now (from Matt Furey's progressions).

Thanks for helping me out guys!

However, I went to a chiropractor today. Feeling better!