Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Overexercising? Comments please

garth64

This is my first time posting; I just got the coaches book and have started reading it along with posts on this forum. I'm 60 years old, 5'9", 170 lbs.; I presently do the exercises listed 3 times a week; I've worked up to this over the last 3 years. I've added some of the exercises from the book to my routine recently. I don't know if I'm overexercising or not; I'm never sore, just very tired when I'm finished. Overall it takes me 1.5 hrs to complete. Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

The exercises:

1-Stationary bicycle 30 minutes cardio

2-shoulder warm-up - have small tear in cuff

3-weighted pull-ups(30lbs)- 3sets, 3 grips 12,10,6

4-weighted dips(30lbs)- 3sets 15,12,10

5-hanging leg lifts- 3sets

6-lying body levers- 3 sets

7-tucked front lever - 3X15sec- added april 2010

8-AB crunches, elevated feet-1set, 40 reps

9-AB bicycle kicks-1set, 50 reps

10-Handstand pushups, against wall, get halfway down 3sets, 3 reps- added april 2010

11- frog stands, straight arms, 3X10sec- added april 2010

12-close grip chins- 3sets- 15,10,8

13-dumbell tricep extensions(30lbs)- 3sets, 15 reps

14- leg press or squat(180 lbs)- 2 sets 15 reps

15-calf raise(180 lbs)- 2 sets 12 reps

If you have worked up to that over the past three years you are most likely not overtraining. The gradual build in work capacity is great. As long as you feel no strain or injuries it seems all fine!

Definitely too much even if your are progressing: is important not only to progress, but to do it in the more efficent way.

When I train I use 1 exercise each for pressing, pulling, core, legs and statics + flexibilty and technical drills, and it requires 90 mins.

In very simple terms, beyond 5 reps in a set and you're no longer training strength. You're training different metabolic pathways and are becoming more endurant.

If your goal is strength, lower the volume, but make sure its of a much harder variation.

What would I do differently if my goal is strength? Thanks.

First, if you're going for hypertrophy, I would keep the reps between 6-12 most of the time. You want to go lower for strength (1-5) which will help the higher reps and you can even go up to 20 sometimes too.

For strength, keep the reps around 3-5 most of the time, along with 1-2 and sometimes more than 5.

Second, whether you are going for strength or hypertrophy (they aren't necessarily separate, there's a lot of overlap), ditch the 30 minute cardio beforehand. It would best to drop it altogether, the second best would be to move it to a different day, and the third best option would be to put it on the end of the workout.

Third, eliminate #8 & 9.

Forth, your order of exercises seem to have no rhyme or reason. Maybe I am overlooking its meaningful structure, but it seems like you've just haphazardly thrown this whole workout together.

Thanks for the input; I originally did 1-9, 14-15; I added 10-13 later on; my original thought was to exercise from the top down; thanks.

I find no issues with the workout as stated for general fitness purposes. I am of the firm opinion; if it is not broken - do not fix it.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

I agree, it really doesn't look unreasonable considering he took 3 years to build that up. I don't think there's any way he would be over-training from that, even at 60.

Great job to the OP by the way! That is a great general workout. The only thing I see is that you could probably work in some rowing. I see no horizontal pulls at all, just FL static.

Nice job Garth. I think it looks pretty good for any age, but especially for a middle aged dude. You might find that as you add in the FL's and if you added in L-sits you could get rid of the crunches. It would seem to be a more efficient use of time. Then again if you are happy with what the workout is doing for you and you are happy with the progress then don't change it.

I guess basically what Coach said... :oops:

Hey Garythenuke, that's what I've been thinking; I find crunches pretty boring and time consuming; I recently tried the L-sit using fairly low bars off the machine that lifters use for shrugs and I can almost do a horizontal sit but I got a ways to go. I'll be phasing the L-sits in and the crunches out. Thanks.

Quick Start Test Smith

I'm impressed, Mr. Garth! You're a great deal stronger than the 60 year old people I know.

I must have good genes; I was a gymnast in the mid 1960's; I just competed on the high bar though I also knew some tricks on the p-bars. After getting married, raising kids, I kinda let myself go for a while (I think that happens to a lot of us), but, after starting a new workout regime about 3 years ago, I feel and look as good as back in the day. Thanks.