Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring Swing Prehab

Philip Chubb

I decided that one of the things I want to do is compete in gymnastics every now and then for fun. Sadly, I missed the age where I am actually able to go somewhere with it, but I wanted to specialize on rings one day anyway since that seems like the event I am most drawn toward along with FX. Does anyone know what kind of prehab would be good to eventually lead into the swinging skills. I read somewhere that Coach doesn't like the effect swinging has in one of the directions but i can't remember if this is forward or backward. For prehab, I have thought of stick dislocates and inlocates as well as slow inlocates and dislocates on the rings. Are there anymore to prepare me in the long run for this? Thank you!

All of Ido's band and shoulder routine stuff and all similar stuff. Basically scapula and shoulder strength and mobility.. T-spine mobility probably wont hurt aswell..

I would love to go to Coach's seminar, but I don't make near enough money to do so. One day I hope to save enough to get down there.

Thanks Razz. I do all that stuff almost everyday. I still don't think I am ready to even think of swinging though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3dVOQIz_hQ

Other that that this is a cool video :P at 1:27 you'll see him do two different elements on the rings. I think it's the first one which coach doesn't teach. Not sure about the second one but that one also seems hard on the shoulders. In locate, dislocate, homma and yamawhaki should be not much of a problem for the shoulds, not like these two.

Thanks for the video! Those elements definitely seem like they don't go hand in hand with a long career...

It seems the basic ones are the safest. Backward swinging looks safest to me though I don't know how easy it would be to dismount with that. I'll stick to the basic swings though anyway. Thank you.

Coach has stated that he does not like the backward salto elements inside the rings like Gogaladze, etc. Nothing you need to worry about for a VERY long time. Maybe after dislocates, shoots, giants, etc.

For prehab, look into Ido's protocol, german hang and basic hangs (for grip strength), stick in/dis-locates, etc. Look into some of Slizzardman's shoulder video of recent.

Thanks! I'll look into slizzardmans videos as soon as I have computer access again. I do all the other things already for my shoulders. I also don't think I would ever do any of the really advanced swings. I'm totally fine with all the strength holds and very basic swings even though that will probably not be a very high scoring routine.