Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Salad Dressing

Nicholas Sortino

Nicholas Sortino

Why is it that no matter how hard I look, even at so called "health food" stores, that I cannot find a salad dressing that does not have soy oil or canola oil or some other weird, nasty shit in it? The same thing goes for mayo. Whatever happened to olive oil? Or coconut oil (that is not hydrogenated to hell, does coconut really even need this...?)?

So if anyone knows of a good brand I am all ears. Or even a relatively easy recipe. I have tried to make my own italian before and it didn't turn out very well... I've made my own mayo with macnut oil, but it is hell and only lasts a few days, although it is a million times better than the store bought crap.

I just want to add a little variety without having to eat poison... is that such a crime (I am sure the food industry would think so!)?

Same goes for me trying to find organic unsalted butter..it's like I have to chose between organic and unsalted :S

http://www.saladdressingrecipes.net/Sal ... ecipes.htm

http://www.hugs.org/sdressdex.shtml

http://www.paleofood.com/dressing.htm

http://paleoblocks.blogspot.com/2009/11 ... cipes.html

gogo google :D haven't looked over the recipes but if you google 'paleo dressing recipe' a bunch comes up.

There should be some good stuff buried in those links. My girlfriend and I use very simple dressings on our salads (like olive oil with lemon juice and some herbs, or a yoghurt/mustard mixture which we mainly use on green salads with chicken or turkey and some apple, raisins and almonds).

I was actually looking for ideas on how to make a kind of mayonaise/dressing that I could use for something I thought of yesterday: an 'inverted hamburger' (two meat patties with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and some mayonaise-like dressing in between :D), so I will be watching this thread to see what everone comes up with.

Nicholas Sortino
There should be some good stuff buried in those links. My girlfriend and I use very simple dressings on our salads (like olive oil with lemon juice and some herbs, or a yoghurt/mustard mixture which we mainly use on green salads with chicken or turkey and some apple, raisins and almonds).

I was actually looking for ideas on how to make a kind of mayonaise/dressing that I could use for something I thought of yesterday: an 'inverted hamburger' (two meat patties with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and some mayonaise-like dressing in between :D), so I will be watching this thread to see what everone comes up with.

MacNut Mayonnaise

3 egg yolks

Juice of ½ lemon

1 1/3 cups MacNut Oil

Coarse salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Place the yolks and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor. Turn the machine

on and slowly drizzle in the oil until the mixture is thick and emulsified.

Season with the salt and pepper.

Razz, I'll look through those, but I had a little bad luck with google dressings once before... maybe I just sucked, or maybe I just gave up after one...

Alvaro Antolinez

There is a super simple dressing I use with my salads when in a hurry:

Olive oil, a drop of aceto balsamico di modena, and a dessert spoon of French mustard (with seeds) maybe not 100% paleo but very tasty.

Also If you have access to a Lebanese shop or Turkish they make some dressing with mint and other species that go in powder and also give very good flavor to a salad.

Sounds good, Omegant. Though I loved Italian dressing all my life, grew up on catalina and thousand island or bleu cheese ( in my later years ), I like some balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and spices/herbs.

Whole Food should have some dressings with olive oil. Many seem to cut it with canola or soy, though at regular supermarkets. You're gonna have to pay out.

Nicholas Sortino
Sounds good, Omegant. Though I loved Italian dressing all my life, grew up on catalina and thousand island or bleu cheese ( in my later years ), I like some balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and spices/herbs.

Whole Food should have some dressings with olive oil. Many seem to cut it with canola or soy, though at regular supermarkets. You're gonna have to pay out.

If the nearest whole foods wasn't 160mi away in DC that might be possible...

Joshua Naterman

Whole Foods doesn't have a location near three military bases?!?! Holy crap! That's a lot of profit they're missing out on!

Nicholas Sortino
Whole Foods doesn't have a location near three military bases?!?! Holy crap! That's a lot of profit they're missing out on!

A lot more than 3 bases... There is Naval Base Norfolk (which contains a Marine Base in it), Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek - Fort Story (which is really 2 bases), Oceana Naval Air Station, Portsmouth Naval Medical Center, Dam Neck Fleet Training Center, Norfolk Naval Shipyward, and Armed Forces Staff College all on the south side, and on the Peninsula there is Langley Air Force Base, Fort Eustis, Fort Monroe, Felker Army Airfield, Yorktown Naval weapons station, and Camp Peary.

Not to mention more than 1 coast guard station and reserve stations...

So yeah, I would say you are probably right...

Joshua Naterman

Good LORD. I didn't know there were so many!!! What an improbably fantastic place to open a business!

I don't think there is such a thing as a healthy salad dressing. I've always heard people using olive oil and lemon juice as a dressing. I usually do this along with fresh herbs and peppers for spice.

I stopped using salad dressing a while ago and have discovered that it actually tastes way better without it

Joshua Naterman
I stopped using salad dressing a while ago and have discovered that it actually tastes way better without it

+9!(factorial)

I occasionally dribble some on, especially if it is Mad Italian's house dressing or a good Caesar, but even then it's less than a teaspoon. I just like the faintest hint of the dressing if it is there, and usually I have none.

Nicholas Sortino

I don't actually use much dressing at all. Right now usually just some MacNut oil. But occasionally I want some variation, and my wife loves to use dressing, but is as annoyed by the soy and canola fillers as I am.

Instead of dressing try putting some sunflower seeds or crumbled up almonds. They are pretty good for variation. Maybe even some pieces of bacon every once in awhile

I love the combination of some garlic/lemon and possibly olive oil or wtv oil you need to use.. just sucks I can never fry my eggs in garlic out of fear of being rejected by comrades the rest of the day :P

Maybe even some pieces of bacon every once in awhile
once in awhile?

I like dowsing my salad with my concoction, typically vinegar and spices. Oil is nice, especially if I want some fat in my diet but otherwise unnecessary.

Nicholas Sortino
Maybe even some pieces of bacon every once in awhile
once in awhile?

I like dowsing my salad with my concoction, typically vinegar and spices. Oil is nice, especially if I want some fat in my diet but otherwise unnecessary.

Bacon is a daily regimen in my diet. I rarely go a day without bacon. Greatest food ever.

Lately I'm hitting the 200g of bacon per day haha.. only problem is it's only 93% meat with the rest being a mix of salt, preservatives and maltodextrine.. annoys me that I can't find anything better..

Nicholas Sortino

Great trick with Bacon to remove all the nasty crap they like to add to it. Soak it in water for about an hour (or even overnight!) before you cook it. A lot of the sugar and salt will dissolve in the water leaving. I don't much like sugary bacon personally.

Nice! I mean maltodextrine we're probably talking 1% but it still annoys me that it's on the label. Not as much as the stupid preservatives do though..

Nicholas Sortino

Meh, sodium nitrite is over hyped, imo. We eat tons of nitrites all the time. I doubt the amount in processed meats will hurt you unless that is pretty much all you eat.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.