Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bicep Soreness and Ring Muscleup.

Bob Sanders

Hi . I always experience this while working on the muscleup on the rings. I just did 2 sets of ring strength 1. Which means I did 2 total reps of muscle up. I added maybe 1 more rep or so. I did seated muscle up with arms bent about 100-110 degrees give or take.

But the point is I would always experience this soreness of the bicep. It is not a bad pain like as an injury but it feels more intense than a typical muscle soreness. And it does not in itself feels like a pump feeling from doing high reps. I was doing very low strength type reps. My arms now after wards gets tender and shakey when I try to use it like typing right now or writing with pencil. It does feel like muscle soreness and it feels like its pretty deep soreness. So when no way would I even be able to do another muscleup if I tried.

But after a few hours it would go away. So I do not know what this is. If its just plain muscle soreness or something else. Has anyone experience anything of this sort before or currently?

This isn't the same but I use to feel tenderness around the elbow. Never to the point of pain and it never hurt after the workout. Eventually the elbow got used to it and now it is no longer tender during muscle ups. The point is, as long as there is no pain and it doesn't last for days, your bicep will get used to the exercise eventually. Just be cautious when increasing reps. It's probably a good idea not to increase them too much until the tenderness goes away.

Your body needs time to adapt to certain exercises especially ones like the muscle up that stress the soft tissue a lot. When I first started training the OAC the bicep and tendon soreness was exceptional. But I was careful not push too much and with time the soft tissue strengthened.

Oh and an awesome handstand pushup on the rings.

Nice effort on the seated MU to HS. I do however have several comments:

1) There is too great a disparity between your pulling strength and your pressing strength if you are only able to perform a MU from a very bent arm seated position and yet have the ability to perform a HSPU on the rings. This needs to be addressed before the discrepancy grows any larger.

2) The ROM of the HSPU is incomplete. The most beneficial portion of a XR HSPU is the locked elbows at the top of the movement as it directly conditions the biceps tendon for more advanced ring strength in the future.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alessandro Mainente
Nice effort on the seated MU to HS. I do however have several comments:

1) There is too great a disparity between your pulling strength and your pressing strength if you are only able to perform a MU from a very bent arm seated position and yet have the ability to perform a HSPU on the rings. This needs to be addressed before the discrepancy grows any larger.

2) The ROM of the HSPU is incomplete. The most beneficial portion of a XR HSPU is the locked elbows at the top of the movement as it directly conditions the biceps tendon for more advanced ring strength in the future.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

can be the wall handstand with the hands turned out a great conditioning exercise for the biceps tendons? i've tried it yesterday and i feel a very great stress on the biceps....

Hi guys and gals,

I have had the same experience with muscle-ups. I however have suffered from a torn biceps tendon in the past. I notice when I keep my elbows tight to my sides as I preform the pulling portion the tension in the elbow is greatly minimized. Correct me if I am wrong Coach, but from what I see the elbows are away from the body more than necessary as well as the right elbow is not in balance with the left. This could be putting significantly more pressure on the inner elbow joint and biceps insertion to the radial.

JP

• 2 years later...

I have had this too. Wondering if anyone has more information on this? I did a little searching on this board and heard something about fast twitch fibres being maximally used or something? Anyone have more info? There is no pain, and hours after my workout it had gone away The feeling is most similar to the feeling of MAXIMAL contraction on your chest when doing low pulley cable crossovers or maybe even pec-dec for some people, except it lasts much longer. I can feel it most when my arm straightens

Leandro Santos

I have had this too. Wondering if anyone has more information on this? I did a little searching on this board and heard something about fast twitch fibres being maximally used or something? 

http://www.t-nation.com/ALSAuthor.do?p=Chad%20Waterbury&s=pager&pageNo=1 

http://chadwaterbury.com/

Read Chad Waterburry articles, he talkes about motor unit recruitment ( Fast fibers, slow, etc) :)

hey guys , (( would be amazing if coach Sommer can give us some advises ) 

briefly talking i have pain in the inner elbow , i believe it is a tendon kind of problem .. 

any suggestions about : 

strengthening exercises . 

supplements that help the recovery . 

and do massage help ot just makes it worse ? 

thanks , 

FREDERIC DUPONT

hey guys , (( would be amazing if coach Sommer can give us some advises ) 

briefly talking i have pain in the inner elbow , i believe it is a tendon kind of problem .. 

any suggestions about : 

strengthening exercises . 

supplements that help the recovery . 

and do massage help ot just makes it worse ? 

thanks , 

Abundant and immediate use of the search function is highly recommended for your elbow issues :)

Kate Abernethy

For once, no, :-)

You will indeed find threads relating to your questions in the different forums.

Leandro Santos
Hi .

But the point is I would always experience this soreness of the bicep. It's not a bad pain like as an injury but it feels more intense than a typical muscle soreness. And it does not in itself feels like a pump feeling from doing high reps. I was doing very low strength type reps. My arms now after wards gets tender and shakey when I try to use it like typing right now or writing with pencil. It does feel like muscle soreness and it feels like its pretty deep soreness. So when no way would I even be able to do another muscleup if I tried.

But after a few hours it would go away. So I do not know what this is. If its just plain muscle soreness or something else. Has anyone experience anything of this sort before or

It's appear to be acute soreness, search for it in wikipedia.

Alessandro Mainente

I've experimented some biceps soreness during the iron cross training on the following days. the sensation is localized on the muscles and not on the tendons (brachialis) or in the inner elbows. normally soreness during the training is a sign that you are stressing the joint and it's connective tissue over you actual possibility.

If you prepare the body during the warm up and you are following the correct progression there is no problems. i spent about 3 years and half working on bent arms strength before to pass to more demanding exercises.