This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Because everyone is still a NewGuy at heart

Started by Newguy, October 26, 2010 · 91 Replies · 5,489 Views

Newguy

Okay. I've been on this forum for quite some time, and now to keep me consistent and because I am starting my first SSC Here is my first workout log. Any criticism is more than appreciated.

Okay if you are going to read my log you should have some of my stats, here are some (If there is anything else you want to know, just ask):

Weight - 150 Exact.

Age - 16 with a birthday on the 29 of march

Body fat - Not quite sure, but it can't be that much. Thanks to gymnastics I got 4 packs normally, and 6 when I flex :twisted:

Started Gymnastics - 1 3/4 years ago

Found GB - 1 1/4 years ago

Started training seriously with GB - 6 - 8 months ago

Skills that I am rather proud of :) (This is not an exhaustive list. Since I take "Recreational" Gymnastics 1 hour a week, and have some slightly below average skill's on all the events :evil: So I will just include some BtGB Skills)

•L-Sit 30 -- Seconds floor, 15-20 Seconds Rings (Non advanced, Although I am capable of doing advanced, just not with as good times)

•Straddle-L -- 30 Seconds 1 hand center. 7-10 Seconds Regular

•Manna Low -- 15 Seconds

•Back Lever Full Lay -- 7-8 Seconds On a good day

•Front Lever Flat Tuck -- 8 Seconds

•Planche Tuck -- 18 Seconds Good form

•XR Dips -- Not sure how many, but at least 10 or more

•HeSPU Wall -- Just recently got this

•Wide Grip L Pull ups -- Somewhat easy, Am working on OAC Unassisted.

•Muscle Ups Regular width -- 5 with average to good form

•L-Hang 10 pounds at Ankles -- 10 Seconds

•Pike Press HS -- Just got these, no momentum

•Human Flag -- 8 Seconds on one side, bout 3-4 on the other

•SLS -- Both Legs

Okay, I will not bore you with what else I can do.

Here is how my first SSC will go, I will do WOD's And Static's for the SSC

Static times are as follows

L-Sit taking a total time of 3:49 to complete 60 seconds at 15 Second Bursts

Manna Low 8 Sec 4:15

Back Lever Flat Tuck 30 Sec 2:21

Front Lever Flat Tuck 5 Sec 10:00

Planche Tuck 7 Sec 9:00

Straddle-L 30 Sec 2:00

HS-Wall Runs 3x60 Sec 6:00

I Will do these every M T TH F Along with the WODS for 8-10 Weeks

Thanks for looking, and the input everyone!!!

The rather excited :D NewGuy

(Sorry for the long post, I will post my first workout results later today)

Newguy

Week One, Day One.

Statics

L-Sit -- 20X3 Felt somewhat hard

Back Lever Flat Tuck -- 2X30 Not too bad, I need to focus on keeping the back completely straight

Front Lever Flat Tuck -- 12X5 Seconds, Felt pretty weak :/

Straddle-L One hand center -- 2X30 Felt pretty good, Second one was nice and painful! :)

Manna Low -- 8X7 Felt really bad :(

Planche Tuck -- 8X7 Was not too bad, but still a lot of work

HS-Wall Runs -- 3X60 Was hard, but good, Gonna be interesting doing the WOD after this.

WOD 101026

1X10 Cast Wall Walks, Was really hard, but in a good way!

1X5 Pike Press HeS, I can do Pike Press HS No momentum normally, just too tired

1X10 Jumping Tuck Press HS Followed by Pike Negative

5X 2 Box HeSPU, 6 Wall run Steps, 2 HeSnPU, 6 Wall run Steps. 3 Min Rest. 2 HeSnPU 6 Wall Run Steps, 2 Box HeSPU 6 Wall Run Steps. Wait 3 Minutes, Complete the afore mentioned 5 rounds

Finished with 2X10 Piking on my knees wrist pushups!!!

Notes: Well, That’s it! The first day of my SSC, It was really hard, but not in a bad way! Looking forward to doing this consistently.

I have added HS-Wall runs to my SSC.

As mentioned before I don't mind in the least constructive criticism!

Newguy

Day Three

Statics

L-Sit -- 20X3 It was pretty good, only a little touching the floor near the end

Back Lever Flat Tuck -- 2X30 Was really hard, But with not too bad form

Front Lever Flat Tuck -- 12X5 Felt pretty nice

Straddle-L One hand center -- 2X30 Really really hard!!! :)

Manna Low -- 8X7 Felt a lot stronger than the other day

Planche Tuck -- 8X7 Really disappointed, I am going to have to go down to 10X6 Seconds, I think it early enough that it won't change anything…Will see how it goes tomorrow I will decide

HS-Wall Runs -- 3X60

WOD 101028

Complete four rounds:

60 sec Shuttle Run

5 Box Jumps

10 - 15m Squat Jumps

5 Depth Jumps

Finish the workout with 2x30 seconds Weighted Pike Stretch (I used about 15 pounds

Notes: Brutal, Simply brutal, I mean, I like conditioning and all but these leg days are just killers!!!

Hmm oh well it will be worth it!!! Nothing like a nice brutal workout before bed ;)

The Newguy who happens to be nice and tired!

Newguy

Okay I did not do yesterdays WOD or SSC Statics, (I was going to a Phil Keaggy concert, he is one of the worlds top 3 finger picking guitarists!!! :) )

My question is, will this have a huge effect on my SSC?

pogo69
Newguy said:
I was going to a Phil Keaggy concert

awesome!!

My question is, will this have a huge effect on my SSC?

I'd defer to those with greater knowledge and experience, but... once? I wouldn't sweat it; life's too short. longer term though, I think I'd always try to at least get the FSP/SSCs in.

Newguy

Okay thanks :) About how many times of something like this happening would it take to have any effect? (Not that I want to find out for myself)

Newguy

Okay, yesterday was not completely devoid of training, 1 hour of "Rec" Gym time (Don't have time or money to pay for more) We went to Rings, P-Bars, Pommels. I won't go into details but here are a couple of things I worked on.

Stretching (Soooo Close to full spilts on all sides!!!)

On Rings: Dislocates, Flyaways, Muscle-ups, Back levers, Shoulder-stands. And also tried (Unsuccessfully)to get, From shoulderstand to Freestanding HS (But I don't quite have the HSPU ROM) FL, Ect...

On Pommel: Straddle Swings, Mushroom circles (I can only get 1 almost full circle, with horrible form! Anyone got any tips to help get it better form/more Circles?) Straddle-L Walks, and various oblique exercises.

On P-Bars: Moi-Swings, Support swings (Making it to HS Half the time), HS's on Parralettes, And tried, and failed to L-Sit press to HS.

Okays, a little more detailed than I had originally planed, but hey :)

Notes: Well I missed a second SSC Day :x :cry: , Oh well, Would it be a good idea to do the Statics on Wednesday as well as today Thursday and Friday?

Newguy

Day Three

L-Sit -- 20X3 Nice and strong today :)

Back Lever Flat Tuck -- 2X30 :o

Front Lever Flat Tuck -- 12X5 Upper arms :!

Straddle-L One hand center -- 2X30 Mmmmhhhmmmm

Manna Low -- 8X7 Average

Planche Tuck -- 8X7 Better, but far from good.

HS-Wall Runs -- 3X60 Love the way this makes you nice and sore!

WOD -- 101102

Complete four rounds of:

3 Strap HeSPU's

5 FX PPP Hands Backwards

7 XR Dips

10 Seconds of L-sit'S

Notes: On the WOD's it got pretty sloppy near the end, but over all a very nice Workday :)

Newguy

Day 5 Thursday, Nov 4

Thursday, November 04, 2010

9:28 PM

L-Sit -- 20X3 Haha My brother said my shoulders were popping up above my neck, and my face was going red, and looked funny :/

Back Lever Flat Tuck -- 2X30 Mmmhhhmmm Good until the last 7 or so seconds of the last set

Front Lever Flat Tuck -- 12X5 Troubles keeping back straight

Straddle-L One hand center -- 2X30 Twas good

Manna Low -- 8X7 B+

Planche Tuck -- 8X7 I can tell my workload is getting better :)

Notes: I did not have time for the WOD, but that should be fine, cause the SSC is my main focus.

Newguy

Day 6 Friday, Nov 5

Day Six

L-Sit -- 20X3 Feeling good

Back Lever Flat Tuck -- 2X30 Well I guess everything is feeling stronger :D

Front Lever Flat Tuck -- 12X5 Better than yesterday

Straddle-L One hand center -- 2X30 :( Bad

Manna Low -- 8X Average

Planche Tuck -- 8X7 So So :) :-/

HS-Wall Runs -- 3X60

Notes: Hmm No WOD :/ Does anyone know whether it is important to do every WOD, or just everyother?

Newguy

Week 3 Day 2 Monday, Nov 8

L-Sit -- 20X3 Love it, Nice and sore

Back Lever Flat Tuck -- 2X30 Not bad

Front Lever Flat Tuck -- 12X5 Not that bad either

Straddle-L One hand center -- 2X30 Really, really bad

Manna Low -- 8X7 Good

Planche Tuck -- 8X7 Good

HS-Wall Runs -- 3X60 Same as the L-sit, Love it, really effective

Notes: I also had 1 hour in a real gym, won't go into but practiced Floor, High Bar, Vault.

Newguy

Week 3, Day 3 Tuesday, Nov 9

Statics

L-Sit -- 20X3 Very good

Back Lever Flat Tuck -- 2X30 Nice, Can really feel it working the bicep tendon

Front Lever Flat Tuck -- 12X5 Not bad

Straddle-L One hand center -- 2X30 Better then yesterday, but not good form

Manna Low -- 8X7 Not bad at all

Planche Tuck -- 8X7 I definitely can feel my work capacity going up

HS-Wall Runs -- 3X60 Twas good

WOD -- 101109

Complete the following:

3 sets of: Basic Ring Strength 3

5x15 seconds Tuck FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds Tuck BL

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

Notes: Very nice Workout day :) And is the first time I have ever gotten Arms locked XR Strap HS!

Does anyone know if there is a specific thing that is worked every Monday WOD. Because I skip Mondays

Because I go to a gym for an hour. And get basically the equivalent, or harder of a WOD But I don't want to miss

Out of anything essential with the WOD's

Thanks :) The NewGuy :D

Newguy

Day 5 Week 3, Thursday, November 11, 2010

Statics

L-Sit -- 20X3 A+

Back Lever Flat Tuck -- 2X30 Average

Front Lever Flat Tuck -- 12X5 Bad form :(

Straddle-L One hand center -- 2X30 Pretty good

Manna Low -- 8X7 Not bad

Planche Tuck -- 8X7 Average to bad

HS-Wall Runs -- 3X60 Average

Notes: Average all around, Just a pretty normal day. Although I did not get a chance to do the WOD

Newguy

Uh, woops :oops: forgot to post Week 3 Day 6

Hmmm I think I did most of the statics at least...

Newguy

Day 2 week 4 Monday, Nov 15

L-Sit -- 20X3 Felt pretty good

Back Lever Flat Tuck -- 2X30

Front Lever Flat Tuck -- 12X5

Straddle-L One hand center -- 2X30 Really good

Manna Low -- 8X7

Planche Tuck -- 8X7 I dunno, it did not feel very good :/

HS-Wall Runs -- 3X60

Notes: Unfortunately I got home really late, so I did not have the time to do them all, however I did do some BL & FL Work at gymnastics today! We had Rings P-Bars, Pommel today. Night everyone!!! :)

The ones I did not do, don't have comments beside them.

Newguy

Day 5 Week 4 Thursday, Nov 18

Statics

L-Sit -- 20X3 B

Back Lever Flat Tuck -- 2X30 B+

Front Lever Flat Tuck -- 12X5 B

Straddle-L One hand center -- 2X30 C+

Manna Low -- 8X7 A

Planche Tuck -- 8X7 B+

HS-Wall Runs -- 3X60 A

WOD 101118:

Complete four rounds:

10 Germans

20’ L-Sit Walks

30 sec Swinging Dips

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

Notes: Really good workout, I am LOVING The germans, somehow I did not know about them before now! They are awesome! :shock:

Tarun Suri

What's with these 20 sets of 3s LSits?

Newguy

Oh :lol: :oops: That is supposed to be 3 sets of 20 seconds :) Sorry bout that

Tarun Suri

I was wondering about that. It's been a consistent typo for 2 pages!

Newguy

Yup, I have the basic template in a notebook, so I just copy and paste, with the daily variables changed. And I guess I did not notice that! :)

Newguy

Sooo, Update!!!

Well, I did not have time for the statics or WOD Yesterday, but I did do 1 hour of gymnastics floor BHS Progressions, and Some High bar, plus a very little of vault.

Okay, Here is my question!!!

As I was starting to do my statics today (Starting with the PL), Well I was warming up my wrists, and for some reason my right hand wrist started having a sharp pain when I get to a certain part of my warmup. and when I actually started doing the PL, nothing hurt. but after about 16 seconds in I could slightly feel some pain.

Sooo My question is this. Should I put the Static SSC on hold for a week or so. Or the SSC and WOD. Or just the PL. Any advice here? Specially from Slizz. I don't mind taking a small break from working out, I just don't know if this will have any effect on the effectiveness of the SSC.

Thanks for the help guys!!! I don't know if this is from a slight bit of overtraining, or just from saturday (I went ice skating for the first time in my life. And had quite a fair bit of falls.)

Coach Sommer

My recommendation is to allow the wrist to rest for at least 3-5 days and then re-evaluate.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Newguy

Okay, Next Saturday-Sunday I will re-evaluate.

Thanks :)

Newguy

And until then, Lots and lots of Leg, Ab, And Back work :)

Newguy

Day 3 Week 6 Tuesday, Nov 30

Statics

L-Sit -- 3X20 Wow

Back Lever Flat Tuck -- 2X30 :o

Front Lever Flat Tuck -- 12X5 Good

Straddle-L One hand center -- 2X30 Not too bad

Manna Low -- 8X7 Not too bad

Planche Tuck -- 8X7 Yikes!!! This was really hard, after just one week my body became REALLY Unadapted!!!

WOD: 101130

Perform the following:

3 sets of; MU, 2 XR Dips, L-sit press shoulder stand, roll fwd into a MU to a shoulder stand, negative Reverse MU down to an inverted hang, 2 slow Reverse Cranks, 2 slow FL Pulls

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

Notes: WOWWWWW That was a BEASTLY WORKOUT!!! Yikes, after taking a week off, I think my wrists have healed from "Whatever" Was the matter with them before. But over all great workout, and on the plus side, I could cry on how hard the PL was, it was weird, I could barely hold it up at all :/