Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

next step to bulgarian dips?

grishenko45

hi all,

i have been building up to bulgarian dips on XR slowly, after i tried them straight off and hurt my shoulder slightly....it's fine now. I've been doing static holds in the upright position on XR to get my balance and my strength and joint prepared for bul. dips.

What is the next step i should take? 1/2 reps? negatives?

thanks

hi, no i've not got the book - i'm getting it for christmas this year....so i'm using the forum for progressions until then!

what are the progressions?

If you hurt yourself doing bulgarian dips, you may want to take some time doing regular dips to build up the strength so that you don't reinjure yourself. How are your normal dips?

Yep, solidy your ability to do regular dips on Parallel Bars. Russian dips are a good idea. Another to make sure you are able to do is bulgarian pushups on rings.

I won't post the exact progression but most of the progressions have been talked about on the forum and you would have to piece them together in their order.

@ Phillip - hi, my regular dips on XR are fine - my balance is there and I can do proper form for around 10 reps.

@Blairbob - my regular dips on parallel bars are fine to, i do weighted dips for reps. and my bulgarian pushups (these are same motion as the dips, but feet on floor right? like a pushup, with arms to 90 degrees, like the dips?) are good to - i'll work more on them anyhow.

Well before you fully engage in them, I would ease the transition into them. Either with spotting or bands ectect. Ask yourself how much more prepared are you for this movement than last time. If the answer is good then you may be ready for it. Good luck!

You will probably be fine, then. I was able to do about 15 ring dips when I could do bulgarian ring dips for sets of 5 or so. Practice the negative and if that is fine, press out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE : hi guys, i finally got the BtGB book - 1 word.....amazing! - I did about 2 weeks of upright holds on the rings and XR dips and XR pushups...i thought i was ready again to try the bulgarian dips without injuring myself, and they went smoothly - i did only 3-4 reps per set, as i want to ease into them, i used the full ROM and slow, controlled movements.

no pain after, or day after!

thanks! i think slow progressions is the best way to avoid injuries, and now i've got the book, i'll do more exercises and progressions too :D