Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lower Back strength

grishenko45

hi all,

I do a few exercises for lower back with body-weight and dead-lifts with weights.

The body-weight exercises i do (that i think strengthens lower back) are:

1. back raises on parallel bars - with holds at the top

2. hip pushups - i feel if i do them slowly with full ROM, i can feel my lower back constantly tensed

3. wall planche pushups

4. front levers

5. back levers

any other exercises or moves that would strengthen my lower back more?

thanks

IHMO you put too much stress on lower back. Depending on the frequency of your deadlift, I would drop 1-2 exercises.

Why is it important for you to have a stronger lower back? But to give a general answer as well, press handstand variations have a good amount of lower back work in them.

Nicholas Sortino

curled back extensions done very slowly can be useful. Most people are afraid to do anything with the spine curved, but done properly and progressively, I think it can be beneficial to strengthen the lower back in that. I look at is as insurance in case my form slips a little of heavy squats and deadlifts.

Some weighted movements beyond the normal deadlift are RDL(SLDLs), good mornings and Jefferson Curls, which coach mention in one thread. I've actually started doing those and the curved back extensions as assistance exercises to to my deadlift and squat.

But be careful with any of these movements, and the risk is pretty great if you mess up or try to do too much or go too heavy.

... curled back extensions done very slowly can be useful. Most people are afraid to do anything with the spine curved, but done properly and progressively, I think it can be beneficial to strengthen the lower back in that. I look at is as insurance in case my form slips a little of heavy squats and deadlifts ...

This is very wise.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

curled back extensions done very slowly can be useful.

Are these anything like glute ham raises? Or are they more like supermans with more contraction?

Nicholas Sortino
curled back extensions done very slowly can be useful.

Are these anything like glute ham raises? Or are they more like supermans with more contraction?

I do them kinda like a GHR but round my back up and down one vertebra at a time. The also work on a normal back extension thing you find in most gyms. I just happen to own a GHD so I do them on that.

Ah, gotch'a. That makes sense and I can visualize that. I don't have a GHR, but I do my best with other stuff. I have to admit that I really like kettlebells for low back.

Nicholas Sortino

The Jefferson Curls work great as well if equipment is an issue. You can use a barbell, dumbbells or a kettlebell easily for it. I would suggest starting off very light. I think a recommendation I once saw was no more than 30% of your max snatch, but preferably less than that. I don't usually do them as set during my workout, but rather 2-4 at a time during breaks while sitting at my computer. I do around 25-45lbs depending on how I feel, but again, it is just something to do to keep me loose because I spend way too much free time in front of the computer.

If you don't snatch, just start off with something really light like 20lbs and work slowly from there. Additionally, if you are flexible, you can do these standing on a bench a la weighted pike stretch. I also like to hyperextend at the top, but that scares some people these days...

I of course am talking only about curved back strength right now. There is plenty more to do, and that i do, for general lower back, hip and core strength.

I am thinking of doing some twisting exercises with both straight and curved back, but I am not sure where to begin. I plan on getting back into Judo soon, and I know it would be great prehab for all the twisting in it. Man I miss doing Judo.

Joshua Naterman

I think that chest-carry sandbag sprints will be your best tool for that, along with sandbag cleans from the side. The first MUST be done with a curved back, there is no other way.

I have a question for Coach: I have been doing the Jefferson curls in the same pattern as a handstand press. From standing, which is the handstand position(straight body) I start curling at the lower back first and then one vertebra at a time I curl down into a curved back pike position and then compress down into as flat of a pike as I can get (the beginning position of the HS press, it seems). From there I straighten up starting with my upper back first and I go vertebra by vertebra through my middle and then lower back, straightening to where my back is straight and slightly above parallel with the ground. I have been doing this since it appears to be the same direction of movement as a handstand press, and it seems to be helping. Is this how you have your athletes perform Jefferson Curls or are do they start with the upper back and then curl down one bone at a time, and then when they come up they start with the lower back and straighten one bone at a time going up the spine and ending with the upper back near the top of the movement?

I ask because the way I am doing it is building my pressing ability slowly. I'm learning to move my back in the same way and I can occasionally do a press from leaning forward into a straddle press handstand without jumping. I can't do them without the rocking motion from the lean, but it's a big improvement. What do you think of this? I notice that very light weight like 20 lbs is plenty right now and it makes me sore in the very small muscles underneath the erector spinae. It's a pretty neat feeling.

• 3 months later...
... Is this how you have your athletes perform Jefferson Curls or are do they start with the upper back and then curl down one bone at a time, and then when they come up they start with the lower back and straighten one bone at a time going up the spine and ending with the upper back near the top of the movement? ...

My athletes' perform Jefferson Curls beginning with the neck and curling down; and then ascending with the lower back first.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Reverse hypers/superman(reverse) leg lifts might be another good exercise. I've yet to weight them at the gym but they are a staple at WSBB.

We have used the RLL quite consistently over the years. In a group setting however, I have found that I prefer for the athletes to simply provide resistance by pressing down on the ankles rather than using weight plates.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer