Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tuck planche, hips shoulder high?

Danny

Hi everyone.

Yesterday I reached my 60 seconds frog stance in just one set for the 3rd time, so I thought it would be time for me to move on..

So an hour ago I tried doing the Tuck Planche, well I actually gave up after a few tries. :oops:

As Coach Sommer mentiones in his article: "At first you may only be able to briefly raise off the ground. Do not worry. " This was definetly the case, my hips at shoulder high was impossible, I inmeaditly (?) dropped down.. So I just tried to support my body on only my arms, I could only hold this for like 5 seconds.. Raising Hips wasn't even an option..

So what should I do know? What is the problem?

Greets, Danni.

John Sapinoso

an intermediate step you could try is frog stand with straight arms

i had this same problem when i got to the tuck planche. i always found the frog with straight arms very ackward. i just kept practicing the tuck planche with my measly 1-2 sec holds for about 2 weeks and i then made a breakthrough with a 10 sec hold. my tuck planche on the ground though is still pretty poor. doing it on parallettes or pushup bars makes it a hell of a lot easier at first

Thank you both for your replies.

I already practiced doing the Frog Stance with straight arms and knew it was a stepping stone, if tuck planche was too hard but it is a very strange hold..

As soon as I read Cathal's post I jumped on my paralettes and tried the Tuck planche, actually I can hold it for like 4-5 seconds with hips shoulder high before lowering a little..

Greets Danni!

Ok, after practicing a bit more I found out that holding the knees tightly to the chest makes this really easier (as Coach already mentioned), I can hold it for over 10 seconds now. What are the good and bad things about doing them on paralettes instead of doing them on the floor?

Greats, Danny.

the good thing is it will save your wrists and make the progressions easier due to the helpful tension effect that gripping the bars has on total body strength

the bad thing is you will need parallettes any time you want to perform the hold but as you progress on the parallettes your floor planche should progress too