Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hope you guys can help!!

WillT

Hi all,

I'm a 33 year old gent, started training (weights) due to lower back issues, prolapsed disc basically :-( I had been advised to do some core strengthening and stability work but to be honest with little results, turns out, according to my physio I have not been engaging the core properly, so 4 months of what I thought was hard slog and for nothing as the back still feels weak! To boot I also noticed during my training a difference in muscle size to my right (dominant side) to the left, left being bigger.

While correcting form on chest press, I have now pulled some muscles in my shoulder on the right side and seems there are some shoulder and shoulder blade stablity issues too....jeees 83 not 33! Anyway, basically I want to to build a good strong physique, coupled with an absolute rock solid core to stop these back issues once for all! I have a young family and stopping myself doing things through worry of th eback going is getting to me. So I thought where better to ask for advice or some exercises to do than here? Gymnasts such as you guys have to have rock solid core strength and superb strength and stability, so over to you guys, help an old duffer if you can! ;-)

One thing to add is that I do have tightness in the right trap and neck, a few knotts you could say! Pretty sure this isn't helping with the shoulder issues much! Just thought I'd add that.

Thanks in hope

Size, weight, and physique information will be helpful in more specific advice.

I'll give you just a little advice that is to be taken with a grain of salt, ( in that you know yourself best), and for ease I plan on simply linking you to information already provided on this website.

From what you said you need help on your core and shoulder blade stability ( which means the remedy is pulling exercises to offset your press exercises)

Some exercises, just to name a few...

L-Sit Lifts:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634

- great starting core exercise

Building an Olympic Body

through Bodyweight Conditioning:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/articles1.html

- front lever progression.

Simply holding the front tuck lever will engage your core as well as your back, 2 birds one stone... of course, if your grip is up to par then go for it, otherwise build up to that step.

And on that note, an opportunity to build your grip as well as strengthen your core...

Developing the Hanging Leg Lift:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/articles3.html

Be careful doing any of this if you are still injured, adequate rest is very important, the last thing we want is you to hurt yourself more. Like I said, you know your level of fitness best, if you do not think you can perform these exercises safely then I suggest lighter work to build up to this ( resistances machines have their place, as well as resistance bands, etc).

Thanks for the reply, height 5'11 weight 80kg, as for physique, 32 inch waist a-side form a bit of chub around the middle I'd say I'm OK, not fat by any means, quite naturally strong, well at least I thought I was....like to think I am quite gifted with broad shoulders anyway, seems to run in the family.

Does that help a bit?

Nic Scheelings

Just a further tip, hanging leg raises are great but if ur shoulder stability is down you might want to improve that first as it could further aggravate ur shoulder. Coach sommer wrote an article about this on another post i can;t remember where tho. He advocated starting with static handstand holds against the wall at 50 % of your maximum static hold.

Cheers

It does help, peruse through the forums as there are loads of information here on gymnastics based strength and conditioning, and virtually every exercise posted on this website will help develop your core regardless of your supposed fitness level. :)

like Demus said, hanging leg lifts can be taxing on the shoulder, I for one shy away from them because of the stress it puts on my right shoulder. And to offset it I am doing exactly what he suggested, Intervals of handstands against a wall using half of my max time, for a month to start.

Honestly, I'd ditch the bench press. It's more functional than a leg press but can lead to shoulder/chest problems. Working with chest Dumbbells is a good option besides pushups, dips, and handstand pushups over time.

Honestly, gymnasts have strong cores, especially males because of the amount of apparatus they do and all the impact movements.

I would start with super light deadlifts as back therapy unless these mess you up bad. I mean light as in using a stick or light bar.

Look up a hollow hold. Basically lie on your back and pick your shoulders up so you are doing a crunch. Now pull your knees into your chest and hold this or rock back and forth. Work on extending your legs farther out horizontally while keeping your lower back rounded ( flat and pushed into the floor ).

I would simply train hangs and take load off by making sure your feet can touch the ground and absorbing the weight with your knees. Basically something of a stretch. Stick dislocates are your friend too.

If you can lie on a bench that is diagonal try to hold your knees up like the tucked hollow position above. Have your hands hold onto something like a diagonal hang. Another less weight hanging position.

Lay on your back and point your toes to the ceiling, now either point your knees ( legs bent ) or toes ( legs straight ) at an angle towards your head. Let's say 15 degrees off vertical. Your body will be at an acute angle. Hold for time. It should be V-shaped somewhat. You can also do this exercise while sitting on your butt, starting out in a tuck and extending towards straight legs. Lying leg lifts will be your dynamic strength in the beginning. Also called reverse crunches.

Start rehabbing that shoulder, yesterday.