Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Abbreviated Routine

RighteousDad

RighteousDad

I was wondering if anyone on the forum here knew of any recommendations by Coach Sommer, for an extremely abbreviated routine. I recently bought Building the Gymnastic Body, and have been spending time informing myself about the best way to proceed. It seems as though the WOD's in concert with a FSP warm-up are the general consensus as the best approach.

Is there a more abbreviated way to do the WOD's and FSPs for a raw beginner with a who is only a fitness enthusiast and not interested in any sort of gymnastic competition?

Nicholas Sortino

I suggest scaling. You can make exercises easier or do less reps or rounds. If time is of concern you can also make a lot of the WODs into a metcon by eliminating or reducing the rest periods. Of course this will affect your strength gains, but will be beneficial to overall fitness and increased work capacity. Of course, I don't see that being possible for every WOD (for example dip wods...) but it is plausible. If you don't have time to do your FSPs during your warmup, you could always do them at a seperate time during the day. I suggest doing them though, because they are great for conditioning and strengthening your connective tissues (along with building some awesome strength).

Regardless, I still feel following the WODs is the best option. Just scale them to your fitness level and time constraints.

I think Nick summed it up pretty well for starting with the WODs.

It did take me awhile to figure out how to do the WODs with what i had on hand and with what i could do physically. After a few cycles that is getting easier so the WODs are more efficient.

The WODs are the best option but if it seems too onerous then...

Try something like the Kilroy 70 template. You could find this and set up a routine that would work for you. I would still recommend that when you log on to the forum you check out the WODs just to see what's in them and eventually move towards them.

Is there a more abbreviated way to do the WOD's and FSPs for a raw beginner with a who is only a fitness enthusiast and not interested in any sort of gymnastic competition?

Abbreviating the WODs in terms of leaving out exercises or sets/rounds would undermine their effectiveness. And in fact, they don't really take that long once you've become used to scaling them to your own level. How short would you like your workouts to be? I think 1 - 1.5 h including warmup is not that long.

Oh and just for the record - I think >90% of the forum members/WOD participants are fitness enthusiasts who are not interested in gymnastic competition :D that's why the WODs are so attractive, scale everything down to what you are capable of/willing to do and at the same time, reap the benefits of this intelligent workout cycle.