Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gymnastics & Everyday life :)

Newguy

This topic is all about random storys of how doing gymnastics has been of use in everyday life.

Earlier today I was riding bikes with a couple other people, and out of necessity (I.e Someone turning into my path :P) I jammed on my brakes quite hard. The result? The back end of my bike went up, and I went over the handlebars. However to my surprise I felt quite comfortable and cool in the air, and landed on my feet nicely without losing my balance 8)

Gymnastics = Awesome

The newguy who is greatly appreciating the aerial awareness he gained from gymnastics :D

Alvaro Antolinez

Awesome! But that is nothing compared to being able to tie a knot on your shoes without having to rise them to a chair! :D

Being able to pullup and front pull over my drunken friend blocking the staircase so that I wouldn't leave the party. He was very confused how I got behind him.

Being able to pullup and front pull over my drunken friend blocking the staircase so that I would leave the party. He was very confused how I got behind him.

:lol::lol:

...winning a free tee-shirt at a Marine recruiting display for hanging on a pullup bar for 100 seconds (static chin-up position).

Having to ride a bike around, I'm very glad I can dive roll. Though it has been my fault when I've been riding around with a poor front brake.

I don't do or like to do much gymnastics in my public life but occasionally I can get tempted to.

Blairbob,

I learned the dive roll as a forward rolling break-fall in Ju-Jitsu and it once served me well while sighting a course before a mountain bike race. I did an endo and fortunately ended up on my feet.

I don't really find many opportunities in my everyday life, but my ears perk up whenever I hear anyone talk about something that sounds gymnastics related. Also I guess I can't remember the last time I actually tripped, and I tend to walk in ways that would make that likely. I guess that's something. And I second the shoe tying thing. I usually just pike right down

Nicholas Sortino

I was bored at work the other day so I decided to do a straddle front pull on a lowish I-beam in our cage. A coworker laughed so I challenged him to try. He couldn't even get his back parallel to the ground. Frustrated he challenged me to a muscle up. We walked over to one of the other teams cages that has rings and he did one (and struggled). I busted out 3 consecutive swinging ones (still not good enough to try strict or even dead hangs on a challenge like that). Funny thing is, I have a reputation for being a weak guy. Guess someone has been getting stronger while nobody was looking 8) :twisted:

And yes, we do quite literally work in cages... Think a giant high-bay garage with "rooms" partitioned off by chainlink fence to the ceiling.

I was bored at work the other day so I decided to do a straddle front pull on a lowish I-beam in our cage. A coworker laughed so I challenged him to try. He couldn't even get his back parallel to the ground. Frustrated he challenged me to a muscle up. We walked over to one of the other teams cages that has rings and he did one (and struggled). I busted out 3 consecutive swinging ones (still not good enough to try strict or even dead hangs on a challenge like that). Funny thing is, I have a reputation for being a weak guy. Guess someone has been getting stronger while nobody was looking 8) :twisted:

And yes, we do quite literally work in cages... Think a giant high-bay garage with "rooms" partitioned off by chainlink fence to the ceiling.

Cages? Teams? Where do you work?

Joshua Naterman

Nice, nice! I love the warm ups. I get crazy looks when I use parts of Hungarian for warm up in the gym, and there's always someone talking to someone else going "what the hell is THAT for?!" and then when it's time for handwalking warm up people always look at me like O_o "dude just walked across the gym on his hands" and that always makes me laugh.

I've actually seen people walk away from the pull up bars after I do a German hang for 30 seconds and then do a straddle FL for 5-10s just shaking their heads saying " HELL naw... heeeell naw." A lot of people say they are interested, so I point them here. I have no idea how many make the 'trip.'

It's also nice to be so much more capable when I'm rolling around grappling, and everything just feels better in general.

Nice, nice! I love the warm ups. I get crazy looks when I use parts of Hungarian for warm up in the gym, and there's always someone talking to someone else going "what the hell is THAT for?!" and then when it's time for handwalking warm up people always look at me like O_o "dude just walked across the gym on his hands" and that always makes me laugh.

I've actually seen people walk away from the pull up bars after I do a German hang for 30 seconds and then do a straddle FL for 5-10s just shaking their heads saying " HELL naw... heeeell naw." A lot of people say they are interested, so I point them here. I have no idea how many make the 'trip.'

It's also nice to be so much more capable when I'm rolling around grappling, and everything just feels better in general.

Yeah i love doing a fitness program that leaves you with a body you can actually use in real life! I was never a big one for the weights anyway but hearing Coach Sommer's stories about the lifters was so enlightening. 'Yeah i can bench 500, but can't walk'

I was actually thinking of the shoe lace thing my self Om, its the simple stuff you know.

Slizz i'm having the same carry over to my yoga practice. Was just doing deep backbends after a week or so off, and it went BETTER than it ever had in the past, i could feel the 'liquid steel™' in my back and just went over walked my hands in without any stiffness and grabbed my ankles.

After a week off in the past i'd need at least a half hour of prep. Yesterday I just did a simple warm up (learning Shadow yoga Preludes - Thanks Cory!) thats all it took.

Nicholas Sortino

Cages? Teams? Where do you work?

As my handle implies, I am in Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal. I work in a shitty old building on Little Creek that gets mini-lakes on the floor every time it rains hard even though they have fixed the roof about 10 times...

We have an MMA fighter in our gym who is a former gymnast. I usually see him warming up with back levers and German hangs.

We have an MMA fighter in our gym who is a former gymnast. I usually see him warming up with back levers and German hangs.

Nice, You ever ask him for training tips?

Yesterday I just did a simple warm up (learning Shadow yoga Preludes - Thanks Cory!) thats all it took.

Way off topic: do you think of shadow yoga? I've heard good things, but there's no classes available in Chicago that I can find

Yesterday I just did a simple warm up (learning Shadow yoga Preludes - Thanks Cory!) thats all it took.

Way off topic: do you think of shadow yoga? I've heard good things, but there's no classes available in Chicago that I can find

I'm just now looking into it, so i can't really say. Having done mostly linear and static yoga forms, i like the idea of adding more fluid movement, so the preludes appeal to me.

Actually it was doing the seminar that brought this home. Don't misunderstand that statement though, you have to realize how long i've been on the mat doing a certain set of poses. Its time for change, so i'm looking around trying to get more balance. I have a feeling what i need to do for balance is the exact opposite of most folks here, and that will include lots of pull ups!