Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More easy for small people than tall ?

ashita

Hey everyone , i hear a lot of something like

" you are small then it is more easy for you to do the planche or the front lever "

" it is easiest for small people than for a tall person "

Do you think its more easy for someone is 5'6 than another is at least 6'1 to do exercice ?

thanks

In gymnastics yes, because torque=F*r where F is the force of gravity and r is the radius from the center of rotation to the end of body.. since there must be equilibrium the muscular force Fm and the radius from the tendon insertion to bone rt must create equal torque so Fr=Fm*rt since rt is a constant, and F is a constant Fm(muscular force) varies with r (radius to center of gravity), which is larger for a tall person.

In pure force output like Razz pointed out above of course shorted people have an easier time with levers just like short arm thick torso people have an easy time with benching and long arm short torso with deadlifting. However, all too often these things are used as excuses to either belittle someone's achievements or for a person to tell himself that something is impossible. In reality world records have been set by people who would normally never be considered "gifted" for a sport. And the people with certain body types still have to put in the hard work to achieve a great level of strength. A maltese is a great display of strength that requires a lot of hard and smart training weather you are short or tall.

In pure force output like Razz pointed out above of course shorted people have an easier time with levers just like short arm thick torso people have an easy time with benching and long arm short torso with deadlifting. However, all too often these things are used as excuses to either belittle someone's achievements or for a person to tell himself that something is impossible. In reality world records have been set by people who would normally never be considered "gifted" for a sport. And the people with certain body types still have to put in the hard work to achieve a great level of strength. A maltese is a great display of strength that requires a lot of hard and smart training weather you are short or tall.

*1 Like

Planches and Iron Cross are "common" in high talented and motivated tall atlhetes. But I never saw anybody taller than 1,75cm doing a maltese

John Gill was 6 feet 1 inches 180 lbs and was able to do an inverted cross. I don't know about a maltese but an inverted cross is rated the same as a maltese now and higher by older standards.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

+1 well said.

John Gill was 6 feet 1 inches 180 lbs and was able to do an inverted cross. I don't know about a maltese but an inverted cross is rated the same as a maltese now and higher by older standards.

Inv cross is C and maltese is D.

Inv cross is C and maltese is D.

Ooops sorry. They change them often, at some point inverted cross was a D until it got devalued. Maltese must have been lower on the code of points at that time as well.

In that case I indeed don't know of anyone at that height that has attained a maltese maybe Coach does. But my point remains the same, it is not impossible. John Gill certainly doesn't consider himself gifted in term of athletic prowess (in fact just the opposite) and he was able to obtain an inverted cross and pull up to a victorian (he was pulling dominant) without any formal gymnastic training. The guy's training was literally: play around on the rings 3 times per week. No formal progressions, no set routine. He just worked a move until he got it without going to failure. And while one of the more known individuals he certainly isn't the exception.

Keep in mind, many Invert Cross HS back in the day that were found acceptable in those days are considered "high" nowadays.