Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pullups

1druid1

Hi All

I am 31 at a bodyweight of 173lbs. I always vary my pullup work like the following.

Palms Facing Grip

Palms away grip

Rope Climbing

For a standard pullup (Palms away grip) I seem to really struggle, think my max is between 6 - 10 with proper form, depending on my attitude :), but I have no problem with the palms facing grip, easily 15 + and I can also do between 5 - 8 with an added 53lbs weight, I know that the two versions are somewhat different, with the latter using more bicep. My question is, are the two variations in pullups that much different in ease? I do have some problems with my shoulders having dislocated both of them and the palms facing away grip does put a little more strain on the shoulder, it just really bugs me that I can do so much in one and only a few in the other.

Dougie

Guest Chiflado

The palms away grip (generall called a pullup) is harder for me than the palms facing me grip (generally called a chinup.) My PR for palms away is thirteen, whille I could probably do more with palms facing me (haven't actually tested my max on those in a while... but I'm pretty sure I can do more than 13...)

So you're not the only one. I think your pullup numbers being lower than your chinup numbers is pretty normal... I think... :?:

Nic Scheelings

Hi,

I agree, chinups (palms towards) are far easier for everyone (in my experience anyway) than pullups (palms away). If you really want to increase your pullups (like anything) you need a plan. I suggest not always training to failure. What u might want to try is doing lower rep sets with really strict form, for example: 4 sets of 3 reps 3 times per week. Each week add one rep to the sets.

Don't allow urself to train to failure always have some in reserve. As u progress after say 6 weeks you can test out a max again, hopefully it's improved. Then drop back again to low rep sets but this time it might be 4 sets of 4 as your starting pooint and build up again.

Hope this helps.

The reason chins are easier is because you engage the biceps more aggressively when you chin. If you are doing so many more chins, it indicates that your pull is mostly arm. You need to engage your back more, and the gap will narrow. Shoot for 80% of your chin total when you do pullups.