Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

shoulder pain and hanging leg raises

cathal

hello there. i have a small problem when doing hanging LR, my shoulders feel like they are in an ackward position and they cause pain. this happens at the point when i lean back to lift my legs. subsequently my shoulders fail long before my abs and i cant get full benfit from this great exercise. so what do you think- lack of flexibility or do i just have a shoulder joint not suited to hanging leg raises?

i can hold handstands for substantial times as well as extended ROM handstand pushups, do you really think it is still shoulder stability issues? i know lads that can do hanging leg raises with no shoulder pain but cant do handstands at all. what do you think coach?

How's your shoulder flexibility? Handstands would be push strength versus pull strength.

You could be gripping too wide as well. I reccomend shoulder width on bars, but rings it shouldn't matter and might be nicer than on bars.

Before doing any dynamic exercises in hang, I'd really warm up those shoulders. Stick dislocates and arm circles.

You could also have something out of whack as far as your shoulders. Rounded or winged out shoulders. Dunno. Perhaps even a rotator cuff issue.

" this happens at the point when i lean back to lift my legs "

This sounds like you are breaking your shoulder angle by sticking your head out to stabilize the shoulder.

I teach them that he head remains as neutral with the shoulders relaxed as possible. Engaging the shoulders tells me your pike or hip flexor flexibility/ROM is poor or you are compensating for weak abs.

You could also play with your grip to see if it anything to do with impingement issues ( leading back to shoulder problems ).